A Vancouver Landscape and Garden professional's ticklish first thread

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by VanMarilyn, Feb 23, 2008.

1. VanMarilyn

VanMarilyn Member

Hello,

I have been educated as a garden designer, I have been managing a major garden center for several years while free-lancing as a designer and I have been a Master Gardener. I truly do not know how to go about this request so I'll just launch into it:

The apartment building I've lived in the past 15 years recently changed hands and the new owners have been clearing out the old tenants so they could double the rent on the basis of renovation. They're quite talented at this and a few months ago I signed a buy-out agreement to move by March 1.

I thought if I ever moved I would like to rent accommodation with a homeowner who has or would like to have a garden or landscape they cherish but in these few months I've not discovered a means to connect with such a person. I've tried Craig's and the like but I just know what's needed is to address a botanical or gardening web community. I sense such things are not done on this forum so does anyone have a suggestion?

I've lined up a few ordinary apartments but don't want to give up just yet. It's spring and I was looking forward to offering my purchasing discount on plant stock and materials, waiving my design fees and getting my hands in the soil.

Thank you kindly.

2. marjaleena

marjaleena Member

Hi, VanMarilyn!

Interesting possibility! I'm new here, so I'm not sure how we get in touch with each other.

3. VanMarilyn

VanMarilyn Member

Oh that's wonderful Marjaleena!

I've sent an email to Daniel Mosquin who administrates this forum to ask for help on this. (The answer doesn't seem to be in the FAQs I read. Perhaps it is because we are both still in the newbie 1-2 posts category.)

Hope to be able to send and receive emails soon,

-VanMarilyn.

4. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Hi VanMarilyn:
    Why don't you just send a private mail to marjaleena with your Phone number or your email address and go from there.
    To do that, just click on marjaleena's name in one of his/her posts and... oops that won't work, because s/he is not registered for PM.

But marjaleena can click on your name and send you a private mail with her contact info.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've bumped both of you up to the user level required to use private messages. Sorry, I had to remove it as an option for newly-registered folks because people were signing up to simply send PM spam.

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

What section in Craigslist did you advertise in? Housing, want to share, services, trades?

We sold a ton of stuff on Craigslist lately from dressers to Model A Ford engine.

And sometimes we switch categories for exposure.

7. VanMarilyn

VanMarilyn Member

8. marjaleena

marjaleena Member

Thanks, Daniel for passing on the message re email communication - good hands indeed!

VanMarilyn - Did you receive my email?

9. VanMarilyn

VanMarilyn Member

To everyone:

It looks like I may have a possibility for a longer term arrangement but it would not be available for 3 months.

So if Spring is now the thing I'll just offer this for consideration:

If you are not in a position to allow a longer term but would still like some expert help with your landscape or garden I can offer about $850 monthly for a short term stay, with the understanding that my professional contribution would make up any difference if the place were normally to go for more. My approach is to achieve environmental sustainability respecting your aesthetic sense from the understated to the dramatic.

I know that this may be a terribly abrupt manner in which to present such an opportunity for anyone to reasonably contemplate. It's such a big thing and takes time to consider. So I'm staying open to any responses past March 1st.