Grafting A. palmatum, A. Japonica, etc on A. platanoides??

Discussion in 'Maples' started by pastaetr, Feb 24, 2008.

1. pastaetr

pastaetr Member

Having recently repatriated to the USA from East Asia, I bought a house with an apporximately 12-year old Norway maple which cannot be allowed to do what it would normally do, since it was planted too close to existing 50' sugar maples. It does get good morning and mid-day sun.
    I did a few experimental chip buds last August/September from A. japonicum 'vitafolium' and A. psuedosieboldiana. Too early to tell, but some of the chip buds look pretty well healed and I'm reservedly optomistic that, with the right approach, I may be able to graft a variety of palmatum, tegmentosa, cercinatum, shirawasanum, japonicum, etc., etc.,etc. on it.
    Probably some of such scions would be less compatible with the A. platanoides than others, so....what I would like to know is:
    "does anyone have experience with grafting any of the East Asian maples on to A. platanoides?"
    You have probably anticipated my reasoning that if I find an East Asian maple that is highly compatible with A. platanoides, then I can do a second graft onto whatever that compatible scion might be. Any ideas or do you think I'm barking up the wrong tree?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Barking up the wrong tree, I'm afraid - Norway Maple is only graft-compatible with other maples in sect. Platanoidea, which share its white latex sap. From eastern Asia that includes A. miyabei, A. mono, A. truncatum, but not A. japonicum, A. palmatum or their allies.

3. pastaetr

pastaetr Member

Thanks for the post, Michael. I was glad to see A. truncatum on the list of possible compatibles as I have some nice Shantung maples, or as they call it in China,Yuanbaofeng , from which to take scions.