bark question?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Latifa, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Latifa

Latifa Member

Hi !
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out.Here`s the question: do I need to use bark medium from a store or I could take some bark from some dead trees I have in my garden? I heard that some people use that bark from their own garden, but they put it firs in the owen for 10 minutes.
    Since I can`t find any medium for orchids here in Belgrade, I am hopping that this could be the way to repot my Phal when the time comes.
    Just one more question: does it need to be bark from a decidius or from a conifer tree?
    Thanks!!

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I buy heat treated fir bark because that's what is commonly available here in Canada, I've read that other areas use pine bark. You might have research each type of tree that you had available because some might be more toxic than others. Another option might be inorganic medias like pumice stone (possibly other porous volcanic rock of the right size) or LECA (expanded clay pellets). If you can't find any products locally becareful if you get potting media shipped as shipping costs can be more than the product cost.

Shaun

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

For some reason I can't remember all the steps, my father used to dry out grass sods with soil and grass roots. He then heat treated them. This was part of his home made orchid mix long before it was commercialy available. He raised about 4000 cymbidiums as well as hot house orchids. These sods were squares cut with a spade and stacked like bricks. I think there was river sand involved as well in the final mix.

Liz

4. Latifa

Latifa Member

Thank you Shaun & Liz!
    I hope I`ll make something out from yours advices!
    You were very helpfull, I`ll let you know how my mix tourned out!:D

5. bulldog

bulldog Member

i would recommend buying bark specifically for orchids. some of the landscape bark are treated with chemicals that can kill the sensitive roots of many orchids. also there are orchids that have evolved to only grow on specific tree species/families as well as some trees that have bark chemicals to prevent epiphytes from growing on them.

6. Lora F

Lora F Member

I used to use pine bark from the forest, for many years, when I lived in Europe. I boiled it for 5 minutes in water to kill some insects. I was sutisfyed wiht the results.
    But to buy the substrate is the best idea, you would have best choice and quality.

7. Latifa

Latifa Member

Thanks Lora F!
    I know that would be the best, but I can`t find it here, in stores...nothing! Your idea seems just fine, so I will probably to that, as soon as my Phal finishes his bloom.But he is just starting, so I`ll post some pictures when he reaches his best! :-)