search for encephalartos seed

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by muhamad, Feb 9, 2008.

1. muhamad

muhamad Member

Hello everyone. Please tell me where I can buy encephalartos seeds. Please give me website address or an open public email. thanks.

2. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

Encephalartos seeds are all under CITES restrictions. Good luck.

3. muhamad

muhamad Member

thanks Laaz for reply. But, its still can be shipped worldwide right?. 2 months ago someone of my country has offered ence. ferox and ence. horridus. He got those seed from foreign. Unfortunately he ask a large quantity, min. 50seeds ( approx. US$400 ). I'm not a grower so I don't buy that offer.

4. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

Presumably, one could collect seed from plants in a public park.
    When is a good time of year to collect ?
    Any other tips ? (Thnx)

5. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

All Encephalartos species are rated CITES Appendix I, which means that international trade in both seeds and plants is restricted. A CITES export permit from the exporting country, and an import permit from the importing country, is needed to trade in these seeds. See the web site www.cites.org for all the details. Encephalartos cycads are indigenous to Africa and as far as I know Africa is no longer allowing the export of these seeds. There are some nurseries in the U.S.A. that are producing their own Encephalartos seeds from cultivated plants in their collections, and will process the CITES export permit for a fee. Just do a Google search for "cycad seeds" and you will find them.