Is Dracaena dying?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by dshanks, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dshanks

dshanks Member

About a week ago I broke the stem right off my Dracaena Marginata and since then the stem looks like it is drying out and dying. I was praying that maybe I could save it and maybe with a little luck have some new growth come out of it. What do I do? I found another site that said they would respond within 3 days, but they never got back to me. This plant has light beige slim long stems with the dark green leaves. Help!!!!

2. ionnrachtagh

ionnrachtagh Member

Hi Dshanks. Be patient. The drying up of the wounded end is natural. If it is going to sprout again it will, normally within three to four weeks if the weather is warm maybe a little longer where you are. If it doesn't let me know and I'll tell you how to prepare a cutting.

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Hate to be techinical but Dracaea species are not aroids. They are in the lily family.

4. dshanks

dshanks Member

Thanx, ionnrachtagh for the reply. I am very relieved. Just another question. I have 5 other Dracaenas varying from slim to thick stem and each one of them has the burnt end syndrome. I tried changing the water then I made sure there was no water in the tray after watering and I have moved them around, all with no success. They look great in the store, but when I get them home after a couple of months this happens. I have one whose leaves are all drooping. Any advice?

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the top piece of the draceana can be put into the soil and it will root. the original trunk will sprout new growth. so, you end up with two plants!

watering with water straight from the tap is bad for two reasons: one, it can be too cold and two, it will have too much chlorine in it. the cold water can shock the plants and the chlorine can cause issues like the brown tips on the leaves.

always let your water sit overnight so the chlorine can dissipate and then, when you water, it will be at room temp and won't shock the plants.

6. dshanks

dshanks Member

Thank you so much for this info. I really love these plants. Any books you can recommend on Dracaenas and things like pruning? Thank you again. Now I can stop freaking out

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they are beautiful, aren't they! there are many varieties, too.

pruning generally is rarely needed with these as their growth pattern isn't the type that branches out. about all you'll ever need to do is top it off if it's getting too tall for it's location.

i can't recommend any books on dracs. i'm sure someone else here could though! you might have better luck if you move the thread to the 'indoor and greenhouse plants' forum as dracs aren't aroids (as steve noted earlier).

if you click on 'thread tools' there should be an option there to move it - just follow the instructions :)

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Oh, that was my fault re: wrong forum placement. Not sure what I was thinking, but probably me acting too quickly again. Moved to indoor and greenhouse plants.

9. dshanks

dshanks Member

Hi. Do you know where in the forum I would find anyone who can recommend good books on Dracaenas? P.s. thanks for your help earlier