Rubber plant leaves 'cracking'

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by soxfan, Jun 23, 2007.

1. soxfan

soxfan Member

Hi there!

I've had a good sized (about 3 feet tall, many stems) rubber plant for about 8 months now which has been growing great, but it seems to have something wrong with it's leaves--I'm guessing its some kind of fungus or pest, but I can't figure out what.

Brown lines appear on the leaves, which grow and eventually the leaf cracks along these brown bits, while the rest of the leaf remains green. In some cases, the leaf will end up splitting right in half. It's been doing this since I bought it, but I thought the leaves had simply been damaged in transit/mishandling at the store. It seems to affect mostly the older leaves.

Attached Files:

2. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

I have the same thing happening to mine. If you fijd out any more information .. please let me know!

Thank you!
    *moonlitpath*

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

do you have a cat?? if you do, they may be playing with the leaves and damaging them.

4. soxfan

soxfan Member

We have not pets.

5. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

Me either.

*moonlitpath*

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hmm.

i've only seen damage that's similar that was directly related to my kitten (at the time) chewing on or pawing (with claws out) at the leaves.

maybe some type of borer insect? or maybe it's just part of the natural process (you do say it's the older leaves that this happens to) of growth? i've not seen that occur with either of mine though.

sorry i'm not more help!