Bugs in my plants

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by theftalanus, Jan 18, 2008.

1. theftalanus

theftalanus Active Member

Why are there Fruit Flies in my plants and these nasty worms? I give it water once a week and yet there are still bugs. i then made a formula of soap and water to try to kill them but it had no success...is there anyother way to kill them?

2. LabTea

LabTea Active Member

It sounds like you have Fungus Gnats. The worms are the larvae. They love soil that remains moist for a long time from being overwatered. Something as simple as letting the soil dry out between waterings will greatly reduce them without having to use chemicals.

3. theftalanus

4. theftalanus

are you sure its worms? it has a lot of legs like a catapillar and has black bead like eyes and anttennea... you think letting it dry out willl do the trick?

5. LabTea

LabTea Active Member

They don't sound like Fungus Gnat larvae to me. It would be helpful to post a picture if you have one. I might not be able to give you an answer to this but maybe someone else can. Hope you figure it out.

6. theftalanus

sorry the picture of the worm did not come out to nice in my phone...and there is the mystery plant which i seem i cannot get the name of

Attached Files:

7. LabTea

LabTea Active Member

The plant is a Dracaena fragrans or also known as Corn Plant. The larva I cannot tell what it is. As like most larvae they are hard to distinguish until they become adult insects. You do not want these around though as they are foliage eaters mostly.

8. theftalanus

how do i get rid of the monsters?

9. Pharmerphil

Pharmerphil Member

hold back on your watering, or use a Bt solution in your watercan