Identification: a plant I need identified

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Kratz7, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Kratz7

Kratz7 Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new on the website... but I thought it may be a great place to have one of my plants identified. Please check out the photos.
    I got the seed for this tree in Hawaii..... Ithe seed was started in May of 2002.
    Could anyone identify the plant?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A habit photo might improve results here.

3. natureman

natureman Active Member

4. Kratz7

Kratz7 Member

hi Ron B,

May I ask (hopefully without sounding silly)
    What is a habit photo? I'll post another photo if you think it would help.

Thanks,

Kratz7

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

A plants 'habit' is its form and growth pattern (like dense shrub, narrow tree, climber, etc.), so a broader shot of the whole plant like the one Natureman linked to in your photobucket page. (We only see the one photo in your link.)

It is usually preferable that people attach their photos directly in their posts. Many people will not bother following links, some photo hosting sites require an account to access and if the poster closes the account or removes the photos, the whole thread no longer makes sense on the forums.

Maybe you could attach a few more of the images as a reply here. Interesting plant. I have no idea what it is. Can you tell us how big the plants grew in Hawaii? Very dense foliage along the stem, but the plant is not so dense overall.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

*waves* heya, kratz!!! how're you doing!?

very interesting plant/tree!! i agree with the others, a pic of the whole thing would make it easier to get an id for it!

7. Kratz7

Kratz7 Member

Hi there,

I will try to give the habits and history of the tree to be identified.

I have grown it from seed, I got the seed while in Hawaii...
    (6 years ago)(Oahu)waikiki area to be exact. We did go to Waiamaya Falls also. The tree can grow to 40' tall in its natural habitat....
    How do I post photos instead of the link?

Kratz7

8. joclyn

you can upload from your computer or from a website.

use the full reply rather than the quick reply and scroll down to the bottom to the 'manage attachments' button and then follow the directions in the pop-up window.

9. Kratz7

Kratz7 Member

Hey Joclyn,

Great to see you.... I'll try to post a full view photo of the tree to be identified.....

[​IMG] how do I get the photo to show up, instead of the link.....?

10. joclyn

did you click on the 'post reply' button so that you have the full/expanded reply box rather than the quickreply box?

you need the full box to get to the 'additional options' area that has the thing to upload pics. if you just post the info (like at other sites) the software doesn't recognize it and just posts a hotlink.

i saved your pic and then uploaded it.

you can upload right from your computer (you don't have to use a hosting site if you don't want to. and, if you haven't uploaded to the hosting site yet, this makes it easier to load a pic into your post here!).

make sure to use 'post reply' rather than the quick reply. scroll down and just click on the 'manage attachements' and in the window that pops up, click on the 'browse' button next to the first option 'upload from your computer'. find your file and select it and then, once it shows in the field next to the browse button, click on the upload button that is to the right of the browse button. then scroll down to close the window. you can add more pics - they just have to be done one at a time.

if you want to use your pb account, use the bottom part of the attachments thing 'link from a url' and use the 'direct link' line of text for the pic. remember to click on upload after you've entered the file info in the field.

oh, when you upload pics here (whether from your comp or from a hosting site) they always (well, almost always) show as clickable links. that saves space and we can just click on it to make the pic bigger if we want to. this is really good software that the site has!

it took me a few times before i figured it out, too!! :)

Attached Files:

11. Kratz7

Kratz7 Member

Hi Joclyn,

I'll give it a whirl, it did work for me once....lol
    By George... I think we've got it!
    Thanks Joclyn,

Anyways, this is the plant I would like identified.....

Thanks for all of your help.....

Kratz7

Attached Files:

12. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

13. Kratz7

Kratz7 Member

Hey SaltCedar,

Thanks for the id of my tree..... I will look up samanea Samen on the net...... I do think that's what I have.