Identification: Can some one tell me what this is? (pics)

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by goodfella, Aug 23, 2006.

1. goodfella

goodfella Member

I am new here, Can someone here please tell me what kind of plant this is? I have attached pictures of it. Its starting to drop its leaves, and I'm trying to save it!

Also, if you know what it is, what are the proper care methods for it?

Thanks!
    mj
    PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

2. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Adenium obesum. A form of succulent from Madagascar I believe. Their care is complicated, someone on the forum sent me a link a few months ago. You could probably find it in the related threads section. Yours looks very healthy compared to mine...Anyway, it will bloom in a variety of lovely colors.

3. goodfella

goodfella Member

Thanks. Well actually this picture was taken a few weeks ago when I bought it. Now half the leaves have dropped and the buds on the top have shriveled up. How often do you water yours? What lighting conditions do you keep yours in? Should I try and re-pot it?

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

5. Chester

I did a fair bit of reading on them (after I purchased the plant of course). They can be complicated to take care of, although not much of a problem down in Florida is my understanding.

The pot you have it in looks fine to me, I wouldn't repot this year. I water my plant when it has dried out, which is about once a week for me where I live. That may be different for you if it is very hot, or conversely, not hot at all (?). I also have mine summering outside in a somewhat sunny spot, although I understand they can take full sun if you acclimatize them slowly. I've been too busy to do this. If you have the plant inside, they apparently like full sun, and I can vouch for this as I had mine in a south window, and it was starting to recover (it looked like crap when I bought it). The important thing that I consistently read is to not overwater. They apparently can take a fair amount of water in the summer, but need to dry out between waterings. In the winter, they need to dry out. Almost no, or no water at all. Is it possible that you have been keeping it too moist?

6. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

common name is 'desert rose'

7. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

here is a pic of a flower off mine

Attached Files:

8. Chester

Beautiful! Mine was the same color. I see that you live in Florida. Articles say they are quite common there, and I've googled many different color forms. Do you have any insider tips on their care besides what I've written above?

9. zairegar

zairegar Member

The need a well-drained potting medium (such as coarse sand) that can prevent most problems with rotting.

Here are some of my flowers pics.

Zai

Attached Files:

10. chirita

chirita Active Member

I acquired an Adenium last November and have found that the best way to water it is from the bottom. Since they are sensitive to overwatering the plant will only take up what it needs. I bought my plant from Walmart and so far haven't had any leaf drop.

11. Sunbaked1

Sunbaked1 Member

here are some pics of my desert rose(adenium obesum).I used a cactus mix and watered when dry on a regular schedule.I live in desert climate so it dry's out fast-except in winter.This one didn't get any direct light.Shaded and some filtered afternoon light.I fertilized with osmocote and a liquid all purpose.It was on the porch and went dormant in the winter losing it's leaves.from what iv'e read it's atropical plant from africa and it was also used as a poison for dart tips by natives.

Attached Files: