Philodendron camposportoanum, looking for color variation.

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Feb 8, 2008.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

There is a small Philodendron from Brazil, Bolivia, and parts of Colombia, Venezuela and the southern tip of Guiana known to science as Philodendron camposportoanum. The scientific description indicates the plant is primarily a ground cover but is also capable of climbing. The part I am interested in is the color variations apparently found in the leaf blade. As the plant matures the blades totally change their shape and develop "ears" known to science as lobes. Apparently some blades are deep green while others contain a mixture of rust reds. The specimen I am growing has the rust red mixture. If you grow this plant and have seen it climb, or have noticed the color variations, I would appreciate your feedback. Here's a link to what I've found so far.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron Camposportoanum pc.html

Photos of your color variations would also be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what a lovely phil!!

3. photopro

Pretty unique, especially when it grows the large lobes!

4. joclyn

yes, i agree! those large leaves are really interesting and beautiful!

i also like the way it'll creep - i'm picturing it up on the walls of my kitchen...would be easy enough to attach hooks or strips of wood so that it could grow around...

5. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

Steve, here is one of mine. It is more of a bronzy green. I've never let it grow up a totem or a wall so not sure what the adult leaves might look like. It is a fast grower though and is one of the toughest little philos I have!

Attached Files:

6. photopro

Interesting Mike! Enid at Natural Selections Exotics sent me several photos last night which show the full adult blade. I've added them to the website if you'd like to see the difference in your plant at it's present size and the adult blade with much larger lobes. Your specimen appears to be nearly as large as Enid's so the blades should begin to morph soon. I do find the color variations quite interesting. And Joclyn, you should have no trouble making this plant climb your wall! Enid trained it to climb a fence. Thanks for the posts!

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron Camposportoanum pc.html

7. joclyn

oh, WOW!!! what a COOL morph of the leaves!!!!!

question on the coloring: are there more than one variety? or is it just that, as the plant matures, the leaf color changes?

8. photopro

That is exactly what I'm trying to learn Joclyn!! I've seen a few photos of juvenile plants that are all green. But I immediately noticed the colors in my own specimen and in some leaves they are very marbled. The scientific description pointed out this feature using the unusual scientific word "bicolorous". All the photos I've been able to find of adult leaves are purely green but still retain some of the "velvet" look. Enid Offolter told me in a note that "velvet" appearance was somewhat lost in two of the photos posted on my site since she had watered her specimen just before taking the photographs. I'm anxious to learn how often the plant is bicolorous and at what point it begins to loose this multi-colored effect and become deep green. The photo of her juvenile leaf appeared to be all green.

I'm also trying to learn who the plant was named after by the botanist. Campos is a latin name and I suspect she named it after some person. So far, I've not been able to learn just who?? Don't know how many people know this fact, but the botanist who described this specimen is one of very few female botanists who worked on aroids in South America, primarily Brazil.

9. Kratz7

Kratz7 Member

Wow! That looks like an interesting plant....

Joclyn.... this is Kratz7 from garden helper... we met about a year or two ago..... do you remember me?

10. joclyn

yes, kratz, i do!! i said hi to you on your post about the tree from hawaii!!

this phil IS a really interesting plant!! well, ANY of the phil's are!!

be sure to take a look all around steve's exotic rainforest site!! he's got a ton of really good info on it!!

11. photopro

Kratz7, I just forwarded your photo to Hawaiian tree expert Leland Miyano. Leland is about as famous a plant expert as they come in those islands and is a good personal friend. He has written several books on the native plants of the islands. Leland also designed some of the most famous gardens in the islands as well as private gardens for many hotel properties. If he can tell me what you're growing I'll post it ASAP.