Growing lemongrass

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by trishmarg, Feb 2, 2008.

1. trishmarg

trishmarg Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has grown lemongrass in the Lower Mainland? What are the requirements, and where can I get a plant or seeds.

Thanks for any info,
    Trishmarg

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We've grown it in the Food Garden in the past, in full sun. I'm not certain what our source for it was, as we don't track that for plants that we treat as annuals. I'll forward this along to the horticulturist who looks after the garden and perhaps he has something to add.

3. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

In the past we have got seed from different sources, looking through current catalogues, Chiltern Seeds has lemon grass offered. Our Nursery starts the seeds indoors for me and i set the plants outdoors with the other warm season vegetables in late May, early June.

4. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Trishmarg,
    This is what I do for lemongrass:
    Go to Asian grocery, buy fresh lemongrass, striped the outer layers, rooting in water, plan it outdoor in spring. Repeated next year. Oh, don't plan it straight, tilt the plan at 20% angle. By the end of summer you can freeze lemongrass for use over the winter.