Acer palmatum 'Tamuke yama'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here are some shots of a 'Tamuke yama' that I grafted in the spring of 1997. One of the plant, made in late April 2003, a shot made in early June 2003, displaying the purple foliage of early summer, one showing fall color made in late November 2002 and two of the plant, dormant , showing the multi-stem configuration, made in January 2003. I made four grafts on four co-dominant stems. I enjoy it as much, if not more, out of leaf as the multi-stem is quite attractive. In the future I will concentrate on upright cultivars for multi-grafting so that the base of the tree is more accessible to the eye.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

What an excellent plant
    What do you use as root stock? Do you grow it from seed or buy?
    I have never tried grafting. I had a friend who did very well at it ..... it is obviously a technique that requires practice
    I am growing a number of plants from seed at the moment......whilst not true to form it is very acceptable to have a number of free plants :)

3. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

I have a Tamuke Yama that I purchased at a nursery and it is very dark purple compared to the pic and so far not as pendulous as I hoped for.

There are not many plants that come true from seed but I believe if you grow enough of them, one day you will get a stunner. All you need is patience and plenty of room....

One of the most outstanding Red Dissectum's I have ever seen was at a computer data centre in Delaware and the staff had no idea what it was. It was about 12 feet high and about 15 feet wide. I could not pick what it was even if I had my reference books with me. At a guess it may have been a Beni Shidare or a Crimson Queen or just perhaps a lucky no name Dissectum. Garnets don't appear to have the heavy pendulous growth that makes it droop to the ground like the Beni Shidare.

This brings me to the purchase of named cultivars of trees as it seems quite obvious climate has a major affect on how the trees look. Sometimes I think you pay too much to have a cultivar that could not turn out what you want. I now visit the local nurseries in late autumn or early spring looking for what I want. I have been caught buying named cultivars that don't deliver in the harsh climate where I live. One day I hope to successfully breed something outstanding but with 15 or so varities of A.P. in my yard, who knows what will develop.

My 2 cents.

Stephen

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think you are right about climate affecting the plants Stephen. So also, soil conditions, shade or sun, wind etc etc. For this reason it (to me at least) is very difficult to try to name a Palmatum from a pic
    Tegarding your remark on Garnet not being pendulous. This is a pic of one of my garnets (about 10 years old) in autumn

Attached Files:

5. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

If the colour represented in that pic (almost pink) is true to form, then that tree would be one of the most stunning trees I could hope to see.

I wish I lived in a climate with cooler summers. Last week we had over seven days ranging from the low 30's to 38 degrees celcius. Funny thing is that the Palmatums burnt but the Dissectums did not with the exception of a young Filigree.

I have a Beni Shidare Verigated that starts out red, then goes a strange dull red then goes green with red and white verigated colouration during the summer and turns in a brilliant burnt orange just before it loses it leaves in Autumn.

The most outstanding thing about my Garnet is the leaves that appear just after budding. They look almost like brilliant red flowers and some people have actually mistaken them when I showed them a picture or two.

No wonder there is so much interest in Japanese Maples.

Stephen

6. beautiful plants

Hi Elmore,

Great work on the grafting. These are some beautiful plants you have grafted here. I am going to learn grafting yet. I didn't know there were so many nice variations of Acer palmatum. Your work and photos are definately an inspiration to inspiring grafters like me!

Will B.

7. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

'Tamuke yama' on standard

Here is a friend's 'Tamuke yama' grafted high, on a standard.

Attached Files:

8. Themapleman

Themapleman Member

Acer palmatum d. Tamukeyama

Here is a Tamukeyama with a Sekimori down lower. This is the color I get at the 3000 foot elevation in Northern California.

Attached Files:

9. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

Tamukeyama entering its summer phase, relatively little sun. A beautiful plant!

Attached Files:

10. jhayes5032

jhayes5032 Active Member

I love this tree, especially its fall color

Attached Files:

11. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

Here's mine, in early November. It's beautiful all year, but fall is really special.

Attached Files:

12. shiroi oni

shiroi oni Active Member

Here are a few pictures of my "tamukeyama".. It was given to me as a gift last year, and I have always been amazed by its beautifully thin and intricrate leaves ever since.

shiroi oni

Attached Files:

13. johnmkirchner

johnmkirchner Member

Here is a pic of my young Tamukeyama. I just planted it this past summer. It is a nice little tree sitting about 2ft high and about 4ft wide. I bought it at a flea market for $60 which I thought was a very good price. The tree was pretty much all green during the summer, but turned to a nice crimson in the fall. About 1.5 years ago I had no Japanese Maples, but now I have over 50 of them, about 30 are planted in the yard. I am very exciting about the spring colors I will see this year.

Attached Files:

14. johnmkirchner

johnmkirchner Member

Here is another pic of that same Tamukeyama.

Attached Files:

15. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for those pics John! It gives me a better idea of what my tiny tree will look like in a few years.

16. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2009, October 2009

Attached Files:

17. mjplax3

mjplax3 Member

Spring has sprung. Here are a couple close-up shots of my Tamuke yama leafing out. Its my first JM and its off to a great start.

Attached Files:

18. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

Here's a gorgeous Tamuke yama. )

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

1st November 2020 and my friends Tamuke yama looking rather nice, even though it's just starting to drop leaves now. A very popular dissectum everywhere.
    IMG_20201101_110946803.jpg

20. Acerholic

30th April 2021 and I cannot believe how late my Tamukyama is in leafing out. But at least it is.
    I'm hoping for a very good May now the frosts have ended, well hopefully they have...
    Tamukey ama 208.JPG

21. Acerholic

8th June 2021 and I waited until my Tamuke yama leafed out fully before posting again.
    I am training this one in a pot, so it is going to be interesting to say the least.
    Tamukeyama 257.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

10th June 2021 and a request, so here it is this morning.
    Tamukeyama 260.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  23. Acerholic

20th June 2021 and my Tamukeyama is now coming into it's own. The colours are so deep red now.
    Tamukeyama 276.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  24. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Something a little different: I saw a Tamukeyama grafted onto a standard and immediately thought 'wow!'. I don't know how well it's going to do, but I hope so badly that it thrives... we shall see!

20220528 Tamukeyama.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

I really enjoy seeing different shapes that people do with their maples. Variety is the spice of life as they say. I think looking at yours it's thriving already Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.