Euro Nursery and Vineyard

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by doodah, Jan 6, 2008.

1. doodah

doodah Member

I'm trying to contact Euro Nursery in regard to the purchase of wine grape vines but I am currently in Mexico which makes phoning them a little more difficult than normal. They have a location in Saanich, BC but no email address is available. I've tried the email address for the Ontario location but the email gets returned indicating it is no longer accessible. Can anyone help?

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

The Saanich location of Euro Nurseries (formerly at the CFIA station) has been closed for some years now, as has their Jordan, Ontario nursery. They still have a rootstock operation at Harrow, Ontario, and (I'm told) a commercial operation in California.

Hans Peter Pfiefer at Euro Rootstock & Grapevine 519-738-9337. Keep in mind it is a farm and you will likely have to leave a message for call back.

Ralph

3. QualityNursery

QualityNursery Member

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I currently grow 15 different varieties of table and wine grapes (mostly wine grapes) on two acres. All of the grapes are for my personal use. The problem that I, and many other hobby growers have, is the quantity of each grape variety that must be purchased in order to be able to buy from the suppliers. Most shippers require vines to be purchased in quantities of 25 or 50 of each variety. Therefore, I am forced to purchase 50 vines, then plant the number that I want (or can use) and toss the rest in the trash. This of course becomes quite expensive. I wish there was a supplier that would sell in smaller lots, even if a minimum order was required, such as 50 vines per order. Then a customer could order 5 of this variety, 8 of another variety, 4 of this and 7 of that to satisfy the minimum order. - Millet

5. QualityNursery

QualityNursery Member

This is David Nevill (owner) from Quality Nursery selling WA State Certified grape plants.
    We will sell one to 100,000 wine, juice or table grape plants to anyone anywhere. No restictions - just be prepaired to spend $4.oo (U.S. dollars) per plant if order is below
    50 plants per variety. Otherwise $1.50 per plant (Certified) & $1.25 per plant for 50 or more per variety. You are required to pay for freight, packaging and handling, FIDO fees if going out of the U.S.A., a WA State Assessment fee of 5% on the cost of the plants (for W.S.U plant Improvement program). We require 34% down at time of order and the remainder when order is picked up or shipped.
    Send email to grapeplants@earthlink.net for more info.
    Web Site: http://grapeplants.net

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

That sounds like a reasonable proposition. Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to look over your variety list. - Millet

7. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Another small nursery that sells lots of grapes, individual plants to large multiples, is Cloud Mountain Farm http://www.cloudmountainfarm.com. They are not yet certified (though they are in the process) so cannot yet ship into Canada, but they can ship within the US.
    Some newer varieties, both wine and table, are available.

8. doodah

doodah Member

can anyone recommend a variety of red and white grape vines for growing on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia (near Gibsons, BC). I've viewed the wide variety of grapes vines available on QualityNursery's site but cannot determine what variety would be best suited to my area. I think I am in the Zone 8 growing area using the QualityNursery guide. I want to get 10 white wine and 10 red wine vines. David has mentioned that white grape vines ripen earlier than red, but I would like to try a red also. I have tried a Pinot Noir, but they do not sweeten early enough for my area.