Sap on underside of mid vein on indoor plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bill Wallis, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Bill Wallis

Bill Wallis Member

We found small drops of sap in neat rows on the mid vein on underside of the leaves on a Chinese evergreen and a money tree. Is this over watering/under watering thanks Bill

2. Amany

Amany Member

Sap? Look very carefully for pests.

3. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

I found the same drops on my philly. No pests though. Kind of strange...they still happen but the plant seems just fine, in fact it's doing quite well right now.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The droplets of water could be the result of guttation. Have a look in this (.pdf) document.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it Jk, especially for the philly...

Ed

6. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Great source of plant wisdom, thanks JK! I have had the occasional "water droplets" on my larger philly. However, the droplets I'm referring to form on the underside of the leaves and are sticky and don't evaporate. They are tiny and clear. They wipe off yet leave a sticky film and if left sometimes they create a small yellowish dark spot on the leaf. As if it couldn't get any weird, it only occurs on the one plant.
    It doesn't seem to affect the growth nature of the plant. I wonder if the condition could become a headache?
    This pic may not help at all...the large philly is the one that occasionally gets the "water drops", the one that gets the sticky ones is the reddish philly growing around the moss.

Attached Files: