Need Help Identifying Palm Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by moonsnap, May 18, 2006.

1. moonsnap

moonsnap Member

Hi all,
    I live in Seattle and purchased a house with this palm tree already planted 4 years ago. I've never done anything to it but lately I've been worrying about it since its fronds turn yellowish and most recently has sprouted what appear to be buds of some sort (see photos). I'm worried that this is a sign that it is dying! I would like to know a) what kind of plant it is b) how should I care for it c) what are those things sprouting from it d) is it dying?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CS

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Trachycarpus fortunei, the common hardy one. Leaf shape varies, either it is just natural variation of individuals within species or many plants in local gardens are hybrids (as has been asserted by S. Hogan, Cistus nursery, for instance).

Yellow bunches mean it is flowering. Yellowishness of leaves may indicate need for fertilization, consider sampling soil and have it analyzed to find out (this will tell you about rest of garden as well). Many windmill palms around here are tattered and yellowish, showing that they often want less exposure and better soil conditions (more moisture and fertility) than they are getting.

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

A very nice specimen of the afore mentioned Trachycarpus fortunei

Trachycarpus takil and fortunei cross very freely so its possible it could be a hybrid............originally introduced by Philipp von Siebold in 1830 and later by Robert Fortune in 1849

4. moonsnap

moonsnap Member

Thank you for the quick IDs! My question is, what kind of fertilizer would you recommend? (I am a black thumb).

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Again, consider sampling soil and..

Test report indicates what formulation may be useful. Really better to have some idea than to apply a product without knowing if it is appropriate.

6. lukeandpalms

lukeandpalms Member

given the location, and my experience with it (ohio) its care free. the recently sprouted buds are flowers,indecating that this palm is very happy, and as for the fronds turning yellow,(ohnestly, i dont see the yellowing) that just means that it is putting more energy into flowering, so it could use some epsom salt.(just a pinch) but it is very healthy!!!
    WOW!

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

For the record or what's it's worth, you have a male specimen Windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei).

Cheers, LPN.

8. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Yellowish leaves may also be a response to winter temperatures. Yellowing is very common in palms that have recently been transferred from containers to the ground--they get busy making new roots and maybe some new leaves, or they're out in more sun and don't need as much chlorophyll. For whatever reason, the existing leaves get ratty looking, much to the frustration of their doting owners.

Anyhow, that's a handsome young Trachy.