Cordalyne- SNAPPED at trunk!!-HELP!!!?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Jan G, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Jan G

Jan G Member

Snapped Cordalyne!!
    Please help..I know there probably isn't much hope but, I have found a Cordalyne plant which has been snapped at the trunk by a fence. It stands (at present) around 5-6 ft tall and until this fate looks as though it has been very healthy and happy.
    I know Yukkas have sometimes retaken with this kind of injury..is there anything I can do for this Cordalyne? It has just flowered and is a little beauty. It's trunk measures around 23cm (9") in diameter and the snap is at the lower end of the trunk so there is still a lot of trunk left. It is not a clean cut however. Also there are three stems at the top (around 13cm (5") diameter..perhaps it is possible to take one of these and regrow?
    I just hope there is something I can do.....
    Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Snapped Cordalyne plant-help!!!?

Cordyline australis often freezes to the crown and then grows back here in USDA 8, probably you are talking about this same species and can expect new shoots to come from the base as well.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think it should sprout from the top of the stump, but wait and see what happens in spring.

4. Jan G

Jan G Member

Thanks for your feedback. It isn't planted at present, it's standing in shallow water in a bucket. Do you suggest I plant it and wait and see? It is completely snapped at the lower end of the trunk, so has no root system left at all other than the coconut type threads hanging from inside the trunk....?

5. fernwood

fernwood Member

no worries about your cordy...make a clean cut below the snap or near ground level and will shoot happily and will reach the original height in a few years

6. Jan G

Jan G Member

Thanks so much for your advise. I have planted the roots which I managed to collect from the spot it was snapped. I have planted in sandy cactus soil and risen the pot so it can drain. Does it need to be a clean cut at the base as I have just left it the way it has has snapped of as it is quite low to the bottom of the trunk? Thanks again!! Jan

7. fernwood

fernwood Member

to be honest...they're such easy plant to grow in blighty...short of flamethrower you can't kill them. it'll be fine