my desert rose needs help

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by vickie, Jan 25, 2008.

1. vickie

vickie Member

i had bought a desert rose about six months ago,it was a sad looking plant with only 2 leaves with some care it started to grow new branches and leaves,but recently it has started geting black spots on the leaves just before they drop and the caudex is becoming a little soft.It is still trying to grow new leaves.
    Please if anyone has any ideas that might help i would really appreciate it!
    Thanx vickie

2. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

I am not sure if desert rose is another rose cultivar but many rose cultivars are prone to black spots on leaves and if not controlled on time, it can defoliate the plant. It is caused by high humidity or if the plant is watered in the evening and the leaves are left wet over night in cooler temperatures. It is aggravated by low air circulation. If the plant is outside, the defoliated week plant has hard time surviving the cold frrezing winter. Fungicides are avaialble to counter the black spot before it defoilte the plant. It has to be sprayed a few times to stop recurrence. The leaves and other debris has to be cleaned from around the plant.

3. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Adenium obesum?

4. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

The cause of black spots (fungus) and remedy may still apply.

5. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Adenium obesum does periodically lose its leaves when growing outdoors. But the problem sounds fungus-y.

6. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

In the Caudiciform & Pachycaul Tree forum there are culture guides (web-links) from three specialty nurseries that should help. There should be general information on treating diseases, etc. Just click onto the Succulent & Caudiciform Culture Guide. There is also the Photo Gallery in this forum that will have information (web-links) specific to Adenium.

Your Adenium is likely dormant/semi-dormant this time of year and will not begin its active growing period until sometime in March (depending upon light and temperature cycles) in its environment. Young Adenium with small (2-3cm) diameter caudexes will tend to soften during this time of year. Once they get a little larger, the caudex becomes a little more woody and will tend to maintain it's turgor during dry spells and dormancy. As a general rule, Adenium will tend to look a little "sad" during this dormant period. Trying to "perk" them up with water, fertilizer, light, etc. during this period often backfires leading to root, caudex, and/or stem rot, as well as, miscillaneous fungal infections.

7. Shelbys Greenfingers

Shelbys Greenfingers Member

You are overwatering it. It is dormant this time of year as a house plant and doesn't need a lot of moisture. I have 2 that I have had for a couple years and experienced the same softening. You can cut it out but it is caused by too much water. What kind of soil do you have it in. I use a very porous large particle gravel type mix. It needs to be well drained so that this rotting does not occur. When the temp gets above 55 F place it outside in a full sun location. Make sure you aclimate it first though by placing it in some shade until some new growth occurs then place it in full sun. Right now mine are "naked" of leaves. You can just remove the leaves with the black spots instead of treating it with a fungicide. Also use a clay type pot they let the roots breath better than a plastic one.

Shelby

8. vickie

vickie Member

I would like to thank all of you for your help i have several plants its a little hobby of mine they develop problems now and again but the usual remedies almost always work,this one however has me stumped.I am going to give these suggestions a try.
    Thanks for being so helpful!

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to caudiciforms forum)

10. Sunbaked1

Sunbaked1 Member

This desrt rose in my picture froze after 7 yrs.I live outside of phoenix az It survived mostly shaded watered only when dry.Used a cactus mix which had alot of perilite in it.So it drained very well.Summer time it's usually above 100 degrees So I water about once a week.Winter usually every 2 weeks unless it's a wet winter then less.Just recently found a new one.I kept it in the house so I didn't lose it to cold.But when I put it out in the 74 degree sun some of the leaves developed a brown spot and fell off.But the acclimated leaves seem to be very healthy.I don't know what your plant's history was but might be to much water,or not letting it dry out b-4 next watering. Anyway good luck.Hope it recovers.

Attached Files: