swiss cheese plant help pls

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by katsen, Jan 23, 2008.

1. katsen

katsen Active Member

hello, i have just bought a swiss cheese plant, and when i got it home i noticed that there is large roots poking out of the holes at the bottom these roots are about 5mm thick and 20cm long, should i repot it? i live in poole, uk and its winter, as all the books say i should repot in spring. so very unsure if i should repot it.
    any info would be great
    thanks Anne

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Yes, spring would be the best time repot rather than now.

3. katsen

katsen Active Member

so what do i do with the ones that are poking out the bottom as they are causing the plant to be unstable?
    thanks Anne

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

You could plant it in a pot big enough to take all the roots...

Ed

5. Bluewing

Although spring is a good time to repot. I You could go up one more pot size, not too big though if it's unstable, or looks crooked

6. katsen

katsen Active Member

its the roots coming out of the base thats making it unstable, sorry for any confusion, Anne

7. Bluewing

If it's unstable, or crooked looking, then yes, you can go ahead and repot it up one pot size larger, or an inch larger. Try not to disturb the rootball, it should be fine.

8. katsen

katsen Active Member

Thank you should i wear gloves/protection as i heard that this plant is poisoaus? and what soil should i use i like using peat free soil for my plants, can this soil be used for this plant? Anne

9. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

You can use gloves on if you wish, but being poisonous is a bit of hype. I have handled them with no problem. Many threads on here about that...

Ed

10. katsen

katsen Active Member

thanks
    Anne

11. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Many plants end up with the name Swiss Cheese plant. Plants in the Monstera genus commonly acquire that name. If you are talking about Monstera deliciosa you should be aware the species needs fast draining soil. I'm not sure about your concerns regarding the use of peat, but this plant grows in soil that stays very damp but not soggy. Peat is very useful for artificially reproducing such a soil mix. I grow quite a few specimens of this species in my tropical atrium and the soil mix I have found that works best for me is composed of approximately 50% moisture control soil (any commercial brand), 20% peat, 20% Perlite, and 10% orchid potting medium which includes gravel, charcoal and bark.. If you feel you must avoid the peat then increase the amount of both Perlite and orchid potting medium. The goal is to create a soil that will remain damp, just not muddy. These plants grow along the edges of rivers and streams in Central America, Mexico and portions of South America and there are several variations. Those variations have leaf blades that can reach different sizes. The can tolerate drying out but will grow best if allowed to remain damp. Most of the variations that are commercially available grow quite large and eventually will outgrow any pot you can give it. These are climbers and in the rain forest can be seen growing 20 meters or more up into the trees.

These are very hardy and repotting will prove to be no problem. The roots are constantly going to continue to grow so consider giving the specimen as large a pot as you can tolerate. Aroids are not like many plants and concern over containing the root ball is of little value. Promise, no matter how large a pot you give it now, in a few years you'll need a bigger one. If at all possible, give the plant a tall piece of rough timber to climb. However, be aware the more you water the larger it will grow. If you want to attempt to contain the growth, moderate the amount of water you offer the specimen.

12. katsen

katsen Active Member

hello, i have just repotted this plant and when i tipped it out of its pot i noticed that some of the roots were brown/black and when i touched them lightly they were very mushy, is this root rot and what can i do about it? :(
    Anne