would a rhodo work here?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by grdnstff, Jan 4, 2008.

1. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

hello .. i have been asked to plant a rhodo hedge in front of a 2 foot deck, on a waterfront property, facing east south east .. the shore is about 50 feet from the deck .. there would be sun from early morning until just after midday .. what i'm wondering is whether there is a 3' rhodo, or possibly azalea, that would flourish in such conditions .. any ideas? .. all input welcome ..

thanks

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm not sure what your air/soil salt conent is like but I would have thought at least the soil might not be suitable. They like good acidy leaf mulch type soils. They are originaly mountain plants. They do very well where I live for that very reason. Elevation, acid soil good water retention. Many also like shade. Having said all that I am at the bottom of the globe and maybe they will work where you are. Here it is encouraged to grow plants that can resist the salt air and wind. Many of out natives do this well.

This list may help

http://www.humeseeds.com/seaside.htm

http://www.hortusnursery.com/nursery/seaside_gardens.htm

http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre/factsheets/factsheet.php/Coastal+and+Seaside+Plants.htm

http://www.aboutthehouse.com.au/switch/200-3236-1

Liz

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They might be satisified with rockroses (Cistus) instead. These are not fully hardy but if proximity to salt water makes this a mild site they may hold up for years. If this is instead a lakefront site cooling effects from the water should probably make it more suitable for rhododendrons than if it wasn't. Proven lepidote (scaly) dwarf hybrids with small leaves like 'Blue Diamond' should be used. (Ideally it wouldn't be a boring row of one kind of shrub all the way along but rather a mixed planting involving drifts of several kinds of broadleaf evergreen shrubs, all with small leaves unless a bed was made that became markedly wider in one part).

4. grdnstff

hello, liz .. thanks for your input .. actually, i live on the east coast of vancouver island, and our soil is very acidic naturally, so as far as soil goes, i feel relatively confident .. however, i do wonder about salt air and rhodos, although i have been to other gardens along the coast whose rhodos seem to do quite well .. and, i have also wondered about the intensity of the morning sun, as it streams right to the deck at this home ..

also, ron, i have thought i might have to go to a different plant altogether .. the only cistus i have seen is about 5' tall, so that particular one wouldn't work here .. however, i will look and see if there are shorter varieties .. and yes, i think that "a mixed planting involding drifts of several kinds of broadleaf evergreen(s)" would be lovely .. actually, i recently saw a picture of a hedge of camellia sasanqua which was beautiful ..

5. Ron B

There are many kinds of rockroses of varying statures grown in this region.

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Camellia Sasanqua are used a lot around here for hedging and can stand sun (read hot) If the soils acid then that might be a go. Also some nice different colours.

Liz

7. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

If you are looking for a low cistus, try finding 'Grayswood Pink'. It is low and wide, and seems to be pretty hardy as well. I agree with Ron, use a variety of low plant for interest.

8. grdnstff

thanks, terry .. i do agree that a lower growing shrub would be best .. i know some shrubs could be pruned to size, and i could do it that way .. on the other hand, it's good to let a plant grow as it will .. box would be lovely, but we're hoping for something that flowers .. i like the idea of the cistus, and have started looking at different sites .. no end of possibilities ..

9. grdnstff

liz .. i was thinking about c. sasanqua as i was quite taken by the pictures of the hedge that i saw .. and such beautiful colours .. another idea to ponder a bit more .. thanks

10. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Be hard to keep Camellias pruned to 3', I would think. Another suggestion- a low growing Escallonia. Newport Dwarf gets only 2'-3' tall, spreads to about 4' wide.

11. Ron B

Lax-growing cultivars were probably what was had in mind for the camellia.

12. grdnstff

terry .. escallonia is a good idea .. evergreen, flowering .. i'll look them up .. thanks

and ron, yes, i was thinking that camellias grow slowly, but it would be a bit of a chore to keep them to 3' .. or would it, do you think .. again, the salt factor might be a deterent .. i like the idea you gave me previously re cistus .. will have to talk it over with the owner ..

13. grdnstff

by the way, liz .. thanks for the websites on seaside plants ..

14. Ron B

Various common sasanqua camellias have arching willowy branches, helping to make this species one of the standard "vines" trained and sold grown on trellises. Some cultivars are even suggested for use as groundcover. Small, unsupported species of many kinds will grow at least initially as mounds; selectively pruning out branches that grew above the desired height later so that it appeared the plants were staying below the cutoff (so to speak) on their own shouldn't be hard at all.

15. Ron B

Another classic low flowering evergreen for seaside gardens is Hebe (shrubby Veronica). Many kinds on the market, but as with Cistus and Escallonia there are inherent hardiness issues that should be kept in mind - part of the reason to plant some subjects near salt water is that they will benefit from the moderating of the climate - salt water absorbs heat during the day and emanates it at night, so that it tends to be cooler during the day and warmer (less frosty) at night near the beach - by close proximity to salt water as well as be tolerant of beachfront conditions.

16. Ron B

17. boiler

boiler Member

Camellias are one of the easiest plants I kow (when purchased young) for keeping trained to a particular height, for as you prune it will tend to shoot below the cut, making it a thicker bush. The only problem I can see (for soil and salt will not mar it) is if it is subject to any early sunshine, as this may "burn" the leaves, especially if there is dew on them. I haven't yet reached shrubs on my pages at www.gardeningforyou.com but please venture there and if you are feeling low, read my pages on Haricot beans and have a laugh with/at me, It may give you a "lift"