Identification: Please help me ID my new palm (pics)

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Cheryle, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Cheryle

Cheryle Member

I just bought a palm tree from a local nursery and want to look up some info on the best care for it... Only problem is that I have no clue what it is!! Also, some of the leafs are dying on the ends... is this a bad sign? It was the only one left at the nursery and I just love it so I didnt want to pass it up in hopes that I can revive the little guy!!! Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. LabTea

LabTea Active Member

I think this is a Madagascar Dragon Tree (Dracaena marginata 'tricolor').

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Good air circulation and bright light are needed for your Dracaena (not a palm). Be careful not to over water or allow the soil to dry out completely. Watch for mites, a common indoor problem.

Cheers, LPN.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

ditto on what labtea and lpn have already said. and that's a really beautiful specimen!!

this plant will shed the lowest leaves as it grows - as it loses from the bottom, new growth will appear at the top. so, if the leaves with brown tips are the bottommost i wouldn't worry too much about it as it's just part of the normal growth pattern - let the leaves completely die and start to brown up before removing them (as soon as they start wilting they should come off if you tug gently).

if the brown tips are on leaves that are higher up, then it could be an issue with too much water, too little water and/or using water that is straight out of the tap.

most water supplies have chlorine in them - that's not good for plants. i always let my water sit in a gallon plastic jug over night so that the chlorine can dissipate - then i water the plants with it.

since you just got this plant, it's going to need time to adjust to the conditions in your house. i wouldn't water it for at least a week and i would try to duplicate the lighting conditions that it was in at the nursery - for the first couple of weeks. it's normal for plants to go into a little bit of shock when you first take them home and being that it's cold weather, the movement from warm to cold (to get to the car) and then warm and cold again before bringing it inside is a bit much on any houseplant (even a healthy one).

if you want to put it in a spot that doesn't quite match where it was in the store (which may or may not have been proper/best conditions) that is okay. just give the plant some time to adjust to the new conditions. that's why i said duplicate it initially - then, once the plant is situated, get it on a watering routine and THEN start moving it to a new location (do the move in increments if the light level will be drastically different).

5. Cheryle

Cheryle Member

Thank you so much for your help!! One more question... Its starting to get small black spots on the underside of the bottom most leaves... is this normal or is it mold?
    Am I supposed to be misting the leaves? I was told that I should by the nursery.
    Thanks again for the help from all of you... I really appreciate it!!

6. Shelbys Greenfingers

Shelbys Greenfingers Member

No do not mist these plants. They do collect a lot of dust maybe that is why the nursery told you that. All you need to do is wipe them down with a damp cloth. Typical problems with Dracaena's are leaf tip browning, marginal burning, various rots, blights, and leaf spots. The latter 3 are particularly common in overly humid conditions which is what you are creating when you mist. Do keep your grow medium moist, temp warm, light bright but indirect, and humidity moderate which you can do by placing a humidity tray under your pot filling it with pea gravel and keeping water in the tray, do not place pot below the water line of the humidity tray for it will draw up into your root area and rotting may occur along with the breakdown of your soil. I have one that was a shabby speciman when I got it. I place mine outside in the spring and summer in an area out of direct sun, it will burn it up quickly. I am not sure of your location but I am in NC, hardiness zone 7b, and it does fine outdoors until the night time temp drops below 55 F. Hope I was some help.

7. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Uhhhhmmm.....mine grow outside and in our summer (which is now) it has been 90% + humidity everyday and I don't get the latter 3 problems. Mine are also grown in full sun and they handle it without a problem, maybe a little browning of the edges. But if your plant is inside, I wouldn't recommend full sun as it is not used to it and it will burn...

Ed

8. Shelbys Greenfingers

Shelbys Greenfingers Member

You are right about the full sun. It can take it but just not at first. I have to let the cutin (waxy protective covering on leaves) build up first. Ed, what part of the world are you in? Southern Hemisphere? Every place is different and species adapt to that environment so yours may tolerate high humidity. I was only giving some problems that may occur. Cheryle you can treat your dragon palm with a fungicide and see it that helps any.

9. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I'm in Brisbane sunny Queensland Australia, sub tropical climate and loving it : )

Ed