need advice - queen palms time for a pruning?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by mouschi, Jan 15, 2008.

1. mouschi

mouschi Member

I have had these for about 4 1/2 months. I have not been watering them for the past few months because the installer said I would just need to water them every day for a month, then every other day the next month and they should be fine. We are in Houston, so we don't have terribly cold weather. A few nights (maybe 3) it got down to the 30's but that is about it. The rest is 40's to 50's at night. Anyway, they don't seem to be looking too swell. Here are some links to some big (and I mean big) pictures of them. Should I cut off the two most outer branches on both of them? Advice needed, thanks!

http://tannercreative.com/115palms/front-palm.jpg

http://tannercreative.com/115palms/side-palm.jpg

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they are not self cleaners, but you can chop them off if you wish. When I had my 3 out the front, they were 5 metres high and sometimes the weight of them would remove the leaf!!
    I'd wait till the leaf is fully brown, it has served its purpose then and is not required by the palm any more...

Ed

3. mouschi

mouschi Member

as by the pictures, a few of them are already almost fully brown. i just don't want to have them end up dying. do they look liek they are in trouble? They look sickly to me.

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

If you cut them off it won't die...just cut them not quite flush with the trunk, but do not damage the trunk.
    From memory you only planted these a couple of months ago, they may still be shocked, but I doubt it. They look OK to me, it is winter over there, right?
    In spring and summer you will get more growth...

Ed