Grapefruit - The Questions

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by tommycanyouhearme, Jan 14, 2008.

1. tommycanyouhearme

tommycanyouhearme Member

Hello folks,

I am a 21 year old University Student/Rock Musician who lives a life of above average alcohol consumption and mindless social activity.
    With that being said, I'm not quite at the relaxed state of life (yet) to sit down and fully understand the complexity of Botany. To the contrary, however, I've purchased a Florida Grapefruit today with the intention of saving the seeds and an attempt to plant them.

I did a little bit of footwork on the internet about citrus seeds, and I've read in a number of different places that keeping them wet is vital to their germination. So what I've done as of now is saved the seeds that I didn't slice through when I cut the grapefruit in half (about 5 or 6 of them) and put them in a small bowl with room-temperature water. I read up on a few different people just planting them directly in the soil, but for whatever reason (I don't have a pot, or soil) I decided to go with the water technique for now.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada where it is arguably the most uncomfortable place on earth at this time of year, and so outdoor planting or any sort of natural environment for this plant is completely impossible.

With the seeds sitting in the water, and the will to purchase a few inexpensive supplies, what would you suggest I do with these seeds to produce the best results? I am not hoping for grapefruit anytime soon, so you probably don't need to mention the fact that it will take years for me to see them. I'm more so excited to see a plant exist out of these little pebble like objects floating in water beside me.

Anyhow, if you guys have any suggestions (without getting too technical with me), please reply to this.

Thank you for your time.

2. paladin16

paladin16 Member

I remember in elementary school we would put seeds on a damp cloth inside a plastic bag to watch them germinate...maybe that would speed the process. Just don't leave it on the cloth too long because the tiny root will latch into it. There are much better examples on raising citrus fruit in this forum. Personally I bought my citrus spout from a nursery catalog So I don't know the specifics of grapefruit germination periods. However, the people on this forum have helped me a lot with my plant..and I know they can lend you a hand...good luck!

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

My advice, feel free to take it or leave it. I would toss the grapefruit seed. As a container seedling tree, grapefruit is the worst possible choice you could make. Growing a containerized grapefruit from seed in Canada I seriously doubt that you will ever get fruit no matter how long you wait. If you want a very handsome looking citrus tree and the possibility of obtaining fruit in 5 years time, go to the store and purchase a mandarin (not Clementine) and plant the seed. If you like limes, purchase a Key Lime (Bartenders Lime) plant the seed and you could have a tree that will produce fruit in a little as two years. - Millet

4. tommycanyouhearme

tommycanyouhearme Member

Thanks a lot Millet.

I've been reading around the forums and you are incredibly helpful.
    I'm going to pick up some more citrus from the grocery store next time I'm there.

You say key limes can produce fruit in little as 2 years?
    Even indoors?

What sort of conditions are ideal for that?

Thanks again.

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, if you do a good job taking care of your Key Lime you should seed the tree bloom in as little as two years, perhaps sooner. Plant your Key Lime in a small container (around 4 inch square). A good germinating mixture of 50% peat moss and 50 percent perlite. You might also be able to purchase a small bag of germinating mix at the nursery. Or you can just purchase a small bag of potting soil. Keep the seed at a temperature between 85-90 and it should germinate in one to two weeks. On top of a refrigerator, near the back, or on top of a running computer would be about the right temperature. If you cannot keep the seed at the higher temperature it will still germinate, but will take a longer time. After the seedling gets it first two true leaves, you can begin to fertilize (once a month) at 1/2 the recommended rate on the label. Water a young seedling only in the mornings, so the surface of the soil quickly dries in the morning sun. This will greatly help guard against fungal diseases. Water with lukewarm water. When you water, water well then do not water again until the top part of the soil feels rather dry, however, do not let the container become completely dry. Good luck to you and to your tree. If your tree needs help in the future, stop by some one here will be happy to help you. Play a song for me. - Millet

6. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Living in a cold area, you should also be aware of the problem called winter leaf drop caused by exposure to direct sun while the roots are cold. You can search this forum and find many related post.

Skeet