Date Fruits

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by henry, Jan 10, 2008.

1. henry

henry Member

Hello Everyone.

I have a farm and would like to grow dates here in the tropical climate of Panama in Central America. Can someone advise me on where to start??

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Henry

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

The date palm (Phoenix dactylifera) is indigenous to arid desert areas and performs best under those conditions. Fruit production is greatly reduced in humid tropical regions. Two named cultivars, Medjool and Zehedii are better suited for areas with higher humidity. You'll need a male and female tree for fruit.

Cheers, LPN.

3. henry

henry Member

Thanks LPN!

4. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

Henry, Hi, I have planted about 12 date palm seeds that I got from a packet of fres dates, they are from choachella California which is In The U.S., I hope they all survive. I don'texpect any to fruit too well in Panama, unless you have a dry area that get less rain and humidity , try starting them from seed in a pot that you can set by a sunny warm window in your house expect them to germinate in 1-2 monthes and when they do grow keep away from sinlight for 2-3 years. Wyatt

5. LPN

Seedlings seldom exibit true fruit characteristics from the parent date palm. If you want a specific type of date, aquire suckers (pups) from known named parent trees.

Cheers, LPN.

6. lkdjflk

lkdjflk Member

Hi Henry
    Interesting about the dates and the replies you have received. I too live in the tropics with a very wet/humid summer and a dry cool/mild winter (North Qld Australia) planted some dates seeds from fresh fruit ( imported from California) that I bought at a supermarket. Successfully grew one that is now a small 7 year old tree. The strangest thing, it now has fruit (see attached photo) the only tree around for 100 kms or so. Always believing that you needed a male and female tree to get fruit!
    How ever if you intend to grow dates commercialy it is best to get your stock from tissue cultured plants, they are easy to handle this way but do need to be nurtured for about two years before planting out also expect some losses. Pups or offshoots are ok but remember that they have spikes and can be heavy to ship/handle.
    Cheers Peter

Attached Files:

7. LPN

Peter ... I seem to recall once reading that only 1 male date palm was needed for 100 females in commercial applications. Also, these do hybridize rather freely so it may have been pollenated by another in the genus and not nessesarily P. dactylifera.
    Nice palm you have there. Always a degree of satisfaction when growing something from seed and see it flourish.

Cheers, LPN.

8. henry

henry Member

Very interesting info. Thanks for the photo, Peter.