jade fungus?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bedixon, Jan 13, 2008.

1. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

We have two large jade plants that have done well for many years. They've been in the same spot and had the same treatment, ie watering and light etc, for at least 4 years. One was moved across the room to a more sunny location about a year ago. This one is fine, and still green and glossy. The one that stayed behind (12 ft away) has developed a dullness on the leaves and black fungusy-looking blotches. It's dropping leaves much more than the other one, as well. I'm attaching some pictures: the ill tree has two "trunks" and looks potbound... but my understanding of jades is that they're very tolerant of this. I've always been careful of not watering too much. Is this a fungus? Thanks for any help, I'd be sad to lose this one.

Attached Files:

2. katsen

katsen Active Member

wow how did you get the jade plant to be that big and how long did it take, its lovely, my jade plant is rather small and i have had it about a year. hope it grows soon. Anne

3. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

These are two plants that were found abandoned in the little greenhouse when my partner bought this place... he had to dig them out of the ground, because they'd pushed their roots right through and broken their 4 inch plastic pots and anchored into the dirt floor. We're not sure how old they are, but we've got cuttings from them that have grown very fast in only a few years, from 2 inch pots to now getting top heavy in 6 inch, so yours will undoubtedly do the same. They're great survivors... I just wish I knew what these black spots are....

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I've had these on mine and don't know what they are...it didn't upset my plant at all. In saying that my plant is outside, so whatever it is may be more of a problem inside...

Ed