Looking for a nursery trolley

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Paul Edwards, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Paul Edwards

Paul Edwards Member

Hi all

I have a small Japanese Maple nursery in Richmond and I need to find a good size two or four wheel trolley capable of hauling as many one gallon size trees as possible.

I've had no luck searching the web. The only commercial products I can find are in the US and are very expensive.

Does anyone know of a supplier in BC - or even in Canada?

Cheers

Paul Edwards

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Something like a Lee Valley wagon with a larger piece of plywood affixed to increase functional surface area (framed so pots don't fall off)? Or a modified flatbed car trailer, like the ones designed to carry motorcycles (can probably get no-longer-roadworthy ones for cheap).

Or just build something from scratch?

Me, I'd like to know more about your nursery!

3. Paul Edwards

Paul Edwards Member

Hi Karin

I'm in the process of developing a Japanese maple nursery.

I've lived on half an acre for some years now and have always wondered what the heck to do with it - other than mow half an acre of lawn.

This year the greenhouse will go in about April. I'll begin grafting from cultivars on to rootstock maples in July, and hopefully next year there should be about 1000 young maples growing on the lot.

All my maples will be in pots and all will be suitable for patios and decks. The business is called Pacific Patio Maples.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I kind of thought that in the end I'm going to have to give up on a ready made solution. There's a business in nursery trolleys waiting for someone to develop. There're hard to come by.

Cheers

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sounds great; I'll look forward to being a customer; hope you do some of the varieties that are hard to come by elsewhere. And I'll keep my eyes open for suitable trolleys.

5. nanyangrose

nanyangrose Member

I think I can help you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I decided to try my "expert" skills at searching - LOL

For my first search, "nursery equipment" seemed like a good keyword.

Among the first results, was one page of www.nurseryguide.com

This page in particular...

http://www.nurseryman.com/equipment-new/carts.html

The second link I clicked on in the list "Sawyer Borthers" seemed to have something that might be what you are looking for.

I'm guessing you want something a lot bigger than this nice cart I got from Ace Hardware...

Attached Files:

7. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I was after a similar thing for book trolly to cart the boxes from the car to my work room. We found some very good ones in our local "huge" [ like your wal-mart type places] hardware warehouse outlet. I am sure there is equivilent ones over there. I refer to them as a blokes (fellows) lolly [sweet] shops.

Liz

9. Just Curious

Just Curious Active Member

Princess Auto in Coquitlam or Langley has some nice ones, reasonably priced.

10. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Costco has steel construction, 4 wheel garden carts every spring for around $100. If memory serves me they hold about 24 to 30 one gallon pots.
    On another note, have you checked your local regional district by-laws regarding nurseries on residential property? You might be surprised what you find. I know I was here even in a rural area. Most require a property to be commercially zoned.

Cheers, LPN.