Identification: hello, please could you identify this Bonsai.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by katsen, Jan 3, 2008.

1. katsen

katsen Active Member

hello, i have bought a bonsai tree and would like to know what type it is, plus it seems to be loosing its leaves and it is not pot bond as i can move the trunk from the soil, any ideas how to rectify this, thanks Anne

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like the potting medium is too wet. Typically with bonsai regular close pruning of the top and annual re-potting, including replacement of potting medium and pruning of roots is routine. As with a normal-sized tree or shrub growing in the ground and being pruned into a specific shape, you have an image ("blueprint") in your head that you are pruning the bonsai to fit - although a live plant it's a sculpture, same as when taking a piece of dead wood or clay and giving it a different shape.

3. AglaonemaAddict

AglaonemaAddict Active Member

Hi, I could be wrong, but this looks like a Fukien Tea Bonsai. I had one a few years back. When I got it, the leaves looked very shiny and a bit sticky. I instantly looked for bugs, but couldn't find any. It kept losing leaves. After putting it outside for the summer, I noticed ants and flies were very attracted to it. It started to come back to life. By autumn, I brought it back indoors and began to see mealy bugs. I repotted it, treated it, but It lived another two months, lost every leaf and died. Unfortunately, at that point I did not have enough knowledge to save it.
    If it is a Fukien Tea, they make great indoor bonsai's. Hope that helps. Happy New Year!