Kamagata in Peak

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Syvatogar, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Syvatogar

Syvatogar Member

The reverse angle shows the graft better. Any comments or ?s

Attached Files:

2. paxi

paxi Active Member

Very nice coloration.

I have a very strange question: What in particular is nice about Kamagata? I tell you why I ask. I "accidentally" bought 2 kamagata (ordered from two separate sources). Seemed to be a very popular choice and I was slightly intrigued that Vertrees chose to name it. I gave them two of the "choicest" spots in my garden. As soon as I planted them (one in ground, one in container), I had a case of planters remorse (Is there such a thing?). Certainly nothing objectionable, but just nothing to my young eyes that made them particulary stand out from other JM's. They are very tiny and I am going more off picture of larger trees elsewhere. Thinking about transplanting them. My wife thinks I'm crazy and she's probably right.

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

every maples lover is a small crazy!!! choise for name is one my system too ,for ex. Osakazuki, Tegmentosum White Tigreess,Kasen nishiki, or like the name of my baby prunus Rebecca....
    about Kamagata for me have nice leaves in spring too the pics in Maples for Gardens is very beautiful!

4. Syvatogar

Syvatogar Member

Honest ?
    Honest answer-EVERYTHING!!!
    Here R some other pics 2 prove it.
    The Kamagata is beautiful in & of itself Bcause of the smallness and shape of the EagleClaw leaf, the seasonal change in color starting in the Spring and changing every week (or day in the Fall) and the way it blends in my rock garden. This garden is based on shades of red (atropurpureum as in the Helmond's Pillar columar barberry), green and yellow. The galliardia Kobold and The Sun accentuate the changes in the Kamagate & Tiger's Eyes Sumac thru out the season-bulbs carry the show in the Spring. Everything blends and changes. Sumac starts out yellow-charteuse and blazes out @ about the same time the Kamagata fires up!
    Do not B dissapointed in your choices-the prime spot is where U want it 2 B:)

Attached Files:

5. Syvatogar

Syvatogar Member

Here R 2 more I found 2 show the point further.
    The key is 2 maintain the color echos and the plants chosen do the job wonderfully.
    BTW, R your Kamagatas grafted? If so, what understock do U have?

Attached Files:

6. paxi

paxi Active Member

oops - your have unmasked the limits of my knowledge. It is grafted (I got one from Herter's nursery and one from mountain maples), but I can't tell you what kind of understock. Here is a lousy picture of one of them. Kind of hard to see amongst the background

You have convinced me however! I do like the way yours blends in with the other planting (especially the tiger's eyes?)

Attached Files:

7. Syvatogar

Syvatogar Member

It will grow-don't worry. MayB U want 2 give it some friends 2 play w/:)