Need help with a Kamagata Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Worthy42, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Worthy42

Worthy42 Active Member

I was unable to find a Kamagata maple locally, so I ordered one from Greer Gardens mail order. The tree that arrived appears very healthy and was the size promised (about 18 to 24"). The trouble is that it splits at the trunk, with one branch quite long (24") and the other quite short (4"). The tree looks a bit odd. Should I stake it and use the longer branch as a main leader? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Take your time to study the tree
    I don't believe that it is possible to envisage the future deveopment of a tree at this early stage
    Here are two photographs of my Kamigata ... the first when it was just bought (3 years ago) and the second this year after pruning and training
    Let the tree settle in for a year or two before deciding what has to be done

Attached Files:

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

the advice of whis4ey is "my" advice!alex

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would add not to forget that a tree grows from the top, not from the bottom
    So any lower branches that are out of place should be removed
    You will see that that is what I have done with my own little tree

5. Syvatogar

Syvatogar Member

My Kamagata is 2 years old from when I purchased it. The graft is low but the understock is thriving also. I staked the main branch later the 1st year and this caused the tree 2 grow much more upright and not lean 2 1 side. It has doubled in volume this year. According 2 my chief Acer consultant, who owns a specialty nursery and looked @ the plant this May, everything is fine and both graft and understock should do just fine. I think staking is a good idea and watching over time B4 prunning in minutes. Some people @ Gardenscape were worried I would loose the graft, but I did not prune the understock and Al said this would be fine, so here is the tree about a month ago. Looks Great! Good luck w/ yours!

Attached Files: