Identification: rubber glove type mushroom?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by janniandbob, Oct 13, 2007.

1. janniandbob

janniandbob Member

Hi! This is our first time here. I need an answer... Is there a mushroom that is sort of a ruffled peony flower shape but it looks a bit like a rubber glove? The color is a very light brown or buff. Oh, we live in Idaho. Thanks so much! Janni and Bob

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I'm unable to venture a guess without a photo -- sorry.

3. janniandbob

janniandbob Member

strange lichen?

Hi, I don't know how to send you a photo here but will in a seperate email. It is of a "plant" growing in our unfinished living room. We heat with a wood stove so imagine it came in on a piece of wood. I had described it earlier as a rubber glove like texture. Thanks so much! Janni

?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Put in "stinkhorn" in a google image search and I bet you might find a mushroom similar to what you are describing. Since you're not giving a picture, we're just taking stabs here, but this is a good guess nonetheless.

6. janniandbob

janniandbob Member

Thank you so much, I'll try "stinkhorn". It does have a weird smell sort of like clorox. I will try to post a photo. I did send one in a seperate email but will try to get more time to figure out how to do it here. Thanks again!

7. stormbythesea

stormbythesea Active Member

Look up photos of Peziza domiciliana (Domicile Cup Fungus)...

8. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

9. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

I would guess Peziza sp. We had several large ones growing on our living room wall, until we got the damp problem sorted. Texture was just like rubber gloves & they were crinkly at the edges. Tan sort of colour. I loved them, being into weird & wonderful life forms, not sure my partner was so enthusiastic...