The tree is dead?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by wetcloud, Dec 10, 2007.

1. wetcloud

wetcloud Active Member

I planted a young Acer saccharinum in a mountain area one month ago. After the planting there have been considerably frosts and the last time I saw the tree it had the leaf buds very dark. My question is if it can mean that the tree is dead or if it is a natural process of the tree in winter.

Sorry but I can't get any photo by the moment.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Check for firmness of buds and freshness of twigs, all parts should appear live. Dry brittle twigs and soft buds that crumble when crushed would not be good signs.

3. alabama

alabama Active Member

take the twig and bend it, if it is dry and breaks it is dead. If it bends and feels green it is still alive.

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Even if some twigs are dead it does not mean the tree is dead. Best to wait to see if there is any new growth in spring.

5. alabama

alabama Active Member

You are right KarinL I may not have been clear. If you bend the tree slightly at the trunk (and there is life in it) you can feel it. If the trunk snaps it is dead.

6. wetcloud

wetcloud Active Member

Thanks! I will do what you said next time I see the tree.

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

for me is better if use the scissors,for cut a little piece of branch,however acer Saccarinum is hardy,for see if is dead wait the next spring,if in spring not life cut ground level is possible that re- life with roots sistem....hola wet

8. wetcloud

wetcloud Active Member

I have seen the tree again this afternoon and it seemed worst with half part of the trunk some dark too. However the trunk did not snap at bending and it was still green inside when I rasped. The tree (40 cm height) is withstanding frosts of -10, -15ºC just a few days after planting, with the soil totally frozen (I put grass clippings around the trunk to prevent root damage), which is really awesome. Winter looks like it will be so chilly in the mountains, so If it get up in spring it is a real champion.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007