All me trees are dying - need some help

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by John Nunn, Dec 11, 2007.

1. John Nunn

John Nunn Member

I know the difference between a plum,pear,pecan and fig and a few others like oak, pine etc so now you know my back ground. I have lost at least 8 trees in the past two years to a fungus like barnical growing on my trees. I have tried several fungus sprays and none seem to stop this. As it spreds on the trees, the limbs get covered and then break off and in time the entire tree is dead. I took a picture. Please if you know how to stop the spread of this please help.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32252&stc=1&d=1197405501 [/URL]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Your picture shows various mosses and lichens, these are using the tree as a support to grow on and do not kill it. You may also see them growing nearby on wood fences and rocks. Something else is killing your trees, to correct the problem you need to look at other things there. If you can't see any clues on your own maybe you can take samples of affected plant parts to a nearby Texas Cooperative Extension office for assistance.

3. John Nunn

John Nunn Member

Ron, thanks...... but the only trees that die are the ones with this on them, and the only limbs that die and break off are the ones with this growth on them. I have numerious trees in my yard on 3 acres near lake livingston (not on lake) in Texas and only the affected ones seem to die.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  4. John Nunn

John Nunn Member

I contacted the Extension agent in the area and he told me to go buy some Nova or Captam for tree fungus. I have yet to find anyone who knows what that is and no local stores sell it. He is 4 days late on an appointment to visit and see first hand what I am talking about.

5. alabama

alabama Active Member

They may be dying before the lichen grows on them. I have lost some trees due to the drought. Are you getting much rain? You may also want to have the soil tested. I have heard of very alkaline soil in the west.
    Captan is very dangerous. You migt want to check it out before you buy it. I would not advise using it anywhere near a lake.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think too that you may be confusing cause and effect. The lichens etc. probably only grow on the dead and dying trees, but they aren't causing the deaths. And it is certainly not responsible of your agent to recommend a product without seeing the problem first. I suppose it's like any service you patronize; you can get both good and bad advice, and the trick is to tell the difference.

You definitely need to talk with other Texas people about this - there are some here who might pipe up in time, and you must have local garden clubs or maybe even botanical gardens? Also, Gardenweb has a Texas Gardening forum, I think.

7. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

It looks like a Cladonia lichen, which grows on dead limbs.

8. John Nunn

John Nunn Member

Hey..thanks, what you are saying makes sense. When I see this growth, I know that the limb is dead, for sure. This tells me that I will need a pro to take a look see. I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

9. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Wish I was there.

I like "forensic" type stuff. In fact, I wrote a web page about groups of dying trees being a red flag. It's not just like one tree dying - it's in a whole different league 80% of the time.

Usually, I become very interested in the soil and the history of what changed in it.

How long have you lived there?

10. John Nunn

John Nunn Member

M. D.
    A little of 9 years and when I came here I had trees dying right next to the front of the house that I never noticed that much until my fruit bearing trees begin to die.

11. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Eight trees in two years??? I have so many questions. Check the soil! Also, look into the history of the house. The soil is a significant common factor shared by your dead and dying trees and I would expect that the fungal sprays treat only the surface not the soil and interior of the tree.

How old is the old what was on your lot before your house was built. When your house was built was the soil brought in? Do you neighbours have similar problems with dying trees? Do only the trees die or are your shrubs and groundcovers also struggling?

12. John Nunn

John Nunn Member

We are on a slop of a hill, not steep and yes the neighbours trees are dying. Shrubs do pretty well and ground cover does well. Our house is 28 years old. Both back and front part of the land has good drainage. My Extension agent has still not shown up. Got a lead this week that a nursery in Huntsville knows what the problem is and I am going there this week. Hope they don't try to sale me some more tripple fungus spray, I have just about ever brand they sell.

13. Stevil

Stevil Member

Sounds like it may be an aggressive form of Honey Fungus (Armillaria), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armillaria

The rhizomorphs (fungal roots, if you like) gradually kill the tree roots and spread from one tree to another, quite rapidly if it's an aggressive type. You may or not see the fruiting bodies (fungi) - they don't appear every year. Have a dig around the roots of the affected trees and see if you can find black bootlace like roots growing along the tree roots. If so, that's unfortunately what you've got.

The cure? Not permitted to use chemicals here (Norway) due to a combination of their toxicity and the fact that it's not guaranteed effective either. One should dig out all affected roots and preferably replant with resistent species - some are listed in the link above.

However, I hope it isn't this which is the problem.....

14. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

One thing to keep in mind too, if you acquired the property from someone else, is that the potential cause of the problem may not be present any more.

People could have done many things from blocking drainage to using herbicides in the past, with virtually all of the evidence gone, except for damage in the plants.

Do the best you can, but don't get frustrated if it can't be solved.

15. John Nunn

John Nunn Member

I appreciate all of your suggestions. I have made an appointment with the Texas Forest Service to send a couple of their agents to investigate the cause. Will post the answer as soon as I get it. Again Thanks