collecting living plant material from the wild

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by globalist1789, Dec 2, 2007.

1. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hello,

I’m wondering about the regulations regarding the collection of living plant material from the wild in Canada, specifically British Columbia.

For the collection of animals in the wild there are hunting and trapping licenses. For minerals there are prospecting licenses. But what about plants? I know that one could never get a permit for removing material from parkland, but this is the same as prospecting or hunting.

Any ideas as to what licensing is required and how to get it?

Michael

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Different ownerships/jurisdictions will have their own rules and requirements. Down here at least some National Forests have had a history of actually encouraging the public to come and dig up wild plants. Mt Baker-Snoqualmie, for instance, once paid a couple I knew to dig up representative small flowering plants (and maybe ferns) and make a display of them somewhere near a heavily visited ranger station - so as to show what was there for the taking.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Michael--I googled around a bit, and couldn't find anything resembling licensing/permitting or other fees required to harvest from crown land here. Hopefully someone else has a definitive word on this, but I sure didn't see anything obvious mentioned.

I know of one of these forest greens harvesting guys, makes a fortune trucking mostly salal from the Island and reselling...doesn't seem to have much if any restrictions on him. I do know that the salal is being impacted in some of the more accessible areas (close to roads) and wonder if it can be totally unregulated for much longer.

Apparently trying to control the mushroom pickers would be even more challenging!

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I see truck loads of Salal being picked for the floral businesses. I was under the assumption those people have regulations regarding harvesting of Salal. Perhaps not.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I was under the impression that it was unregulated on most Crown land, though it would be illegal in areas specifically protected (i.e., parks).

I've read articles from time to time about conflicts in the woods re: mushroom pickers (see: here for a summary with article references at the conclusion)

7. globalist1789

Thanks to all of you for your trouble. I had looked around an wasn't able to find much at all.... only a few mentions of mushrooms and "fiddle heads". Both very tasty, but I was really more interested in native plants for my garden and material for bonsai.

I wouldn't feel right just going out and digging up plants without making some effort to find out what I was permitted to do. I didn't what to be like the people who fish without licenses or without reading the regulations.

Many thanks,
    Michael

8. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

You should check out the Native Plant Society of BC website http://www.npsbc.org/
    They post a code of ethics related to the use and collection of native (wild) plants.

Whereever you are thinking of collecting living plants are located on land that belongs to someone or some organization. While I know that locally, some non-profit organizations have made arrangements with developers to salvage plants. Wouldn't it be trespassing and illegal to go onto that land to collect? What would you think of someone who entered your property to hep themselves?

The BC Parks website lists the following regulation:

"For your own safety and the preservation of the park, obey posted signs and keep to designated trails. Look but don’t damage natural objects. Shortcutting trails destroys plant life and soil structure. The fragile ecosystem will be seriously damaged if people or domestic animals go off the trail." The phrase "...Look but don't damage natural objects..." jumps out at me.

Also, weren't charges laid on people who took logs from Crown land?

9. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    I am sure if the government saw an opportunity to collect licencing fees they would have been onto it by now. Trees must come under forestry regulation but now plants on Crown land is a different question. Re: Dogwood tree questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. alabama

alabama Active Member

In the spring I take cuttings of some native plants. I go off in the local woods with my small cooler and a little bit of ice or cold water and take softwood cuttings. I cut them, put them in a baggy, and place them in my cooler . I get them home as soon as possible and "stick" them. It does not damage the parent and it gives me some nice plants. I have some real pretty pinks I have aquired this way. Not all plants will root this way though. The eastern redbud is one of them. I don't dig because it seems to always dissapoint.
    If you are going to dig you need to spade around it one season and dig it the next. This give the plant chance to grow a fiberous root system around its base. Plants in the wild have long roots reaching great distances. Just digging it up will probably kill it when you transplant.

11. globalist1789

The term for collection in bonsai is "yamadori". Like all things in bonsai, it is matter of skill and timing. You're right to say that if someone were to dig up a maple tree in the middle of august it will most likely die and die quickly.

12. alabama

alabama Active Member

Skill and timing are very important.
    Digging some plants during dormancy does not present much of a problem. I have dug oak leaf hydrangea (off my own property) in January and have had success with little more than a stick and a little root. I have also dug a few native azaleas. I have had no luck with eastern redbud trees though.

13. Mike St. Claire

Mike St. Claire New Member

I've been collecting yamadori for 20 years from back country areas of Crown Lands. on Vancouver Island. I would like to make a trip to the interior of British Columbia to find some Rocky Mountain Juniper specimens. Any recommendations for where I can go or what to look for?

14. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I do believe one needs a license to cut crown land firewood here in BC
    Firewood Permits - Province of British Columbia

(The firewood site makes valid point about potential for disease spreading by harvesting and transporting )

AND one needs permit to cut a Christmas tree on crown land
    Christmas Tree Permits - Province of British Columbia

However - I know salal and mushroom pickers as well as people who take their bee hives up the mountain for summer - but do they need permits ?
    Mushroom Picking - Province of British Columbia

And there is official range land too — signs are on trees and seemingly random (tho not) fences and cattle guards - obviously that is all official leases.

A license for springs and now wells
    And foreshore too

——-
    I think as humans expand in to previously difficult-to-access spaces in the wilderness (atv makes it much easier for example) .... one measure regardless of license (permit) requirements ... is good old common sense and respect

Sure - dig a sword fern but not for commercial purposes or a quantity that adds up to half acre of forest

Same as harvesting moss

Or picking wildflowers

Or foraging as thé fashion seems to be for some urbanites

All of these plants add up to homes and fodder for many other species

PS - often with the human growth in BC -
    there will be private land being cleared and maybe you can rescue with permission and during non work hours (wearing a visi vest!)

My preaching thoughts ;)

ÉDIT - link to crown land uses & enquiry contacts
    Crown Land Uses - Province of British Columbia

NB - one important detail is remember that although the land may appear wild ... it could be formal First Nation territory and i would think should be treated like the posts above say for parks and preserves.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. Georgia Strait

16. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

BC Hydro rights-of-way are Crown land where the trees are going to be cut back every few years. Merritt and Kamloops areas seem to be hotspots for transmission lines: https://www.bchydro.com/content/dam...ppliers/transmission-system/maps/transplt.pdf

17. Georgia Strait

18. Georgia Strait

———————

While often these lands under power lines appear to be public ...

It is important to note -

Some lands under power lines are leased out - for example, for Christmas tree farm

Some are on First Nation land (Sechelt BC is a highly visible example)

Some are easements on private land

Here is a useful guide

Rights of Way & Power Lines

Daniel Mosquin likes this.