Chanterelles

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by cliffordwalton, Oct 18, 2006.

1. cliffordwalton

cliffordwalton Member

Re: Updated: How to post a message

hello just a few things i saw on hear are very interesting, im from nova scotia and i have been harvesting chantrelles for the past 7 years and i noticed not all chantrelles are as beutiful as the pictures say that they look like when u find chantrelles at least where i have mostly found them ther is more than one there i have found up to 3 pounds in one spot and usually they well grow in a half moon or a strip ill find them in late july and when the heavey rain comes in august ill find them in great amounts and only well usually were i have cut them before and its true cut them dont pick them they will not come back i have harvested up to 30 lbs with in a couple hours and i usually harvest with in a 4 week period il find up to 400 to 500 lbs so ya any questions that i can help ya out with dont be shy im not a doctor of nothing but hey i do know my fungi lol
    Clifford Walton

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I'm looking forward to finding some this month or next. I've had decent success finding Chanterelles in the Oregon coast mountain range from September to about January, with fewer in December and January.

We moved to south Oregon last summer, so I need to find new picking spots this autumn.

I'm rather simple about the cooking; garlic and butter is about all I use.

3. ColoradoMushrooms

ColoradoMushrooms Member

Wish I could run into 30lbs of Chantrelles. Your in good shape if you know some good spots and get there at the right time. I found a total of 5 small Goldens this year and they were great. Our season here is over (snow now on the ground!).

How do you preserve them? I'm sure you cant eat that many too quickly.

4. cliffordwalton

cliffordwalton Member

just wondering do u pick for your enjoyment of having these mushrooms or do u pick for money ????

5. cliffordwalton

cliffordwalton Member

well u can cut them as u wish if they are too big or the small ones just start to cookthem and let them sweat just a bit and put them in a bag and freeze them they welll hold the body not like other mushrooms and they go to mush id like to get ahold of people who do pick them and possably buy them from other and to actually try some from the west coast mabey they have a difernt taste and smell but the chantrelles i have been picking i have been selling them to a local chef and he has used them on his menu and they are quite a seller i know they are not as easy found as i have cleaned out my spots over the years but i cut and dont pic they will come back if you dont cut them ihave picsill sen dor put up adn they are piles of muchrooms about 1 1/2 feet tall and beutiful mushrooms any more questions just ask

6. ColoradoMushrooms

ColoradoMushrooms Member

I pick only to eat. Also, I only cut at the stem so they grow back later as these are hard to find where I live. Depending on the mushroom many times I will sun dry them, and then use the foodsaver to seal them for later use.

7. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

>>I only cut at the stem so they grow back later
    I'm not sure I understand. Can you explain exactly what you are doing and why this will cause them to grow back?

8. ColoradoMushrooms

ColoradoMushrooms Member

By slicing them off at ground level you leave the Mycelium in the ground to grow more mushrooms in the future. If you just rip everything out of the ground there is less chance of finding mushrooms in the same spot next year.

9. Rodrigue Arseneau

Rodrigue Arseneau Member

Hello Clifford

I'm from New Brunswick and been looking for a mushroom buyer. Found several patch f chanterelle during the last three years and there is some patch that I could easily get 50 pound a day at the right time. Found also some winter chanterelle ( cantharellus infundibuliformis ) by the hundred during moose hunting trip.

10. cliffordwalton

cliffordwalton Member

hear my msn or email i gess
    clifford_walton26@hotmail.com
    send me some information and i might be able to help u out the buyers around hear dont pay very much for chantrelles but ya hope to hear from u someday
    CLiff