Wollemia nobilis...any news on timeline for U.S. sales?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by markinwestmich, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

According to Steve Whysall's column, Jurassic plants, in the July 6, 2007 edition of The Vancouver Sun:
    Note the column refers to the tree as Woolemi pine.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Typo, or an inventive way of getting round the trademarking nonsense?

3. Junglekeeper

Likely the former as the botanical name was stated as Woolemia nobilis. Must be the result of an inadvertent 'Replace All' using spellcheck.

4. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Hello folks...a full 10 months since the Canadian vigil started (waiting for a Wollemia nobilis).

Update: My import permit expires before the advent of spring 2008 shipping temperatures so, unfortunately, I felt obliged to cancel my Australian order. It's -5 C to -9 C overnite...I wouldn't want one shipped now.

I was able to pick up a very nice specimen from Jurassicplantsnursery.com.

I'm now (finally) a proud mama of Wollemia nobilis.
    Settle into a comfy chair for my baby's pics.

FYI, had just misted it, hence water on needles in 1st pic.
    And how cool is the coppicing and bubbly bark in second pic.

Calling carblue...got a picture yet of yours? How'd it do this summer? We'd love to see it.

Attached Files:

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

ohhh good news!Just saturday i remember your story ,or your best "never end story"with Wollemia ; in this pics i seen one beautiful plant!!!!i'm very happy congratulations !!!alex

6. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Thanks, Alex.
    This never-ending story finally did end...happily.

Were you able to get yours in Italy?

7. alex66

yes but by Italy nursery official Wollemi pine, that imported from Australia....

8. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Good for you, Alex. Congratulations.

Let's see a picture!
    Is it on the patio in summer, or planted in the garden?
    Any pests attracted to it?

9. alex66

hi i planted in the garden ,no pests for the moment, but leaves have a little brown "burn"?or fungi attack?

10. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Alex, hopefully it's only sunburn and not a fungus.

Literature refers to extremely low levels of light in the Blue Mountain area of Australia.
    Our cloned plants were likely grown in the improved light conditions of modern nurseries.

It's just a matter of getting them acclimatized to local conditions.

I will keep mine on the patio this summer, giving it full sun only in the morning.

You probably know this, just a reminder:
    Fertilizer: recommended low (or no) phosphorous.
    6-0-6 was recommended by several sites.
    Acid soil.

Apparently a sure way to kill a Wollemi is to overwater it, especially when it's not actively growing.

Let us know if you find out what the "brown" is, please.

11. neonrider

neonrider Active Member

Columbiaâ„¢, Southâ„¢ Carolinaâ„¢, USAâ„¢
    Zone 8A here (southern Columbia, SC): is it ok not to feed any fertilisers to wollemia at all? Also is it ok not to water it during winter? Mine been purchased a year ago as 10-16" tree from NG but I received a 4-5" inch one and it s now about 6-7' tall and somehow yellowish green due to full and hot sun I kept it at all summer, now planted in mostly shade.

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Could also have a nutrient deficiency. Coarse potting soils are apt to become badly leached if not kept regularly fertilized. Mineral content of potting medium combined with mineral content of irrigation water affects what nutrients need to be supplemented and in what amounts, not everyone everywhere will get the same response to the same fertilizer formula.

13. Junglekeeper

There are a number of trees selling for $39.95 at Maple Leaf Garden Centre (in North Vancouver). They're becoming more affordable.

14. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Was listening to a local radio gardening program (Vic Aust.). There was mention of the pollen from Wollemia pine in fossil remains not too far from where I live. This fossil bed is at the bottom of a disused quarry that is part of a large municipal park. It was the head of the park that was being interviewed and he mentioned the pollen finds. I can't find reference to the pollen in articles on the park.

Also
    http://www.berwickvillage.com.au/wilson_botanic_park.htm

" Further study has shown that the site contains the earliest dated eucalyptus in the world and that tropical rainforest existed here 20million years ago. Some petrified wood has also been found"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Botanic_Park

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/wilsonbotanicpark/

Liz

15. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Very interesting, Liz, thanks for the links.
    Nice pic of the park in the last link.

One link mentioned "blue metal" quarry...I'm stumped on the phrase.

I'm happy to see these plants become more affordable.

Neonrider...in addition to Ron's tips, it'll probably be happier in the shade until it's older.

16. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Blue metal refers to bluestone which equals basalt which equals volcanic soil. Was the stone of choice here in Victoria for the convicts to work. Many buildings are made of blue stone including the now decomissioned jail. The blue metal is used to do our roads when it is broken down into chips and sealed with tar. (bitumen ) It's also polished for kitchen benches and tombstones.

My land sits on basalt (bluestone soil) and it is a red to deep chocolate colour when it breaks down. It is acid. Great for growing potatoes comercially. Just add compost and I swear you can't kill anything in this soil unless you have no water. It is superb growing medium.

Pic of metal ships at bottom
    http://www.anlscape.com.au/page/quarry_products.html

Some interesting use for the dust
    http://www.oliveaustralia.com.au/Olifax_Topics/Crusher_Dust/crusher_dust.html

A bulding
    http://www.answers.com/topic/hm-prison-pentridge.

These blocks make great garden walls and were very available years ago. We had a lovely wall as part of the back garden. These days each block is very expensive. Sometimes they have the convict marks chisled on them.

Liz

17. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Liz thanks for that most interesting reply and the links.
    Blue metal certainly has some unusual properties, particularly its pH of 9.1.

...and "Bluestone College" was decommissioned. Presumably not needed any more (a good thing).

Again, thank you.

18. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That's interesting that garden centers in this region already have plants for sale.

19. hamadryad

hamadryad Active Member

Wow, what a discussion! (I'm been gone a long while...)

My Wollemi baby arrived Dec 2006, very cute as someone said, but quiescent for a long time! Finally started new growth in August or September 07, shortly before I brought him inside. Watching the buds unfurl is amazing! I think a couple more want to, but there isn't enough light inside, and I don't dare have him outside with several inches of snow out there. Maybe I'll try a different window.

I thought you could only get them (in US) from Natl Geog-- interesting to know they're available in WA-- maybe I'll have to make a trip!

20. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Hopefully you'll post a pic of yours.

After 9 months of owning it, must've been a thrill to watch it grow.
    As it got cooler outside, did the buds "cover up" with that waxy polar protection?

I won't see any new growth until Spring, when it's going out onto a "morning sun only" patio. Currently in a very cool bedroom with north light. Seems OK with no watering (hopefully it's fully dormant now).

You'll likely recall that many Canadians were ticked off -- after being on the Wollemi Society's waiting list for up to two years -- that National Geographic was the "North American distributor" for Wollemia. But they wouldn't ship to Canada.
    What a fiasco.

But all's forgotten and forgiven now that I've got one.
    So you're buying another one?

21. hamadryad

hamadryad Active Member

I'd love to have another if I didn't have to spend another $99.95 (plus shipping) for it! <grin> I am "sharing" this one with a local dinosaur museum, will let them use it in their Jurassic exhibit when it gets bigger. So another one would be great! Plus it's scary having an expensive plant that might not do well, eh? (having, alas, killed a few in my day)

I'm glad you got one anyway, and you can be glad that you're not getting regular catalogs now from Natl Geog like I am! I'll look forward to hearing whether you get buds in spring though-- I was surprised mine waited so long. But, yes, it was a thrill--and a good sign-- when it decided to grow!

Will post a photo soon.

22. hamadryad

hamadryad Active Member

Okay, Kia, here are a few pics of the little guy. The second one shows new growth on the branches at 11, 2, and 3 o'clock, and that bud that seems about to open at 5 o'clock. There's also a center bud on the main leader. I didn't see any polar caps last fall, but then it didn't get very cold before I brought it inside.

The third photo shows the base of the plant, with two coppice stems and the main leader, which appears to be growing out of a stem cutting at soil level.

--Sally

Attached Files:

23. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Cool, seems about the same size as mine.
    Did the central leader bud not grow this summer?
    If not, it likely was from the nursery taking cuttings.
    It'll grow in height next season then.

I'm looking forward to seeing new growth in '08, and whether the trunk's base
    is beginning to form its "bubbly chocolate" bark.

This plant easily coppices, from what I've read.
    If you want a single trunked tree these branches can be readily pruned to produce a conical shape, versus the shrubby bush form.

Wonderful that your tree will make its appearance in a dinosaur museum!
    Appropriate indeed.

Thanks for the pics!
    Did you amend the soil in any way?

24. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Here is a photo of my Wollemia nobilis, with a kettle beside it to indicate the size of the tree. I've kept mine indoors because I enjoy looking at it, but I know a few people here on the Sunshine Coast who have planted theirs outdoors.

Attached Files:

25. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Oooh, that's a nice one too!

In your climate, especially in a partial-shade microclimate near a building, bet it'd do very well for all but the really cold winters of the Coast. I brought mine in as soon as frost threatened, but knew a warm room wouldn't do it good.

I recalled reading a theory of UBC Okanagan's Dr.Susan Murch, who is researching many aspects of this tree...she wondered whether there was sufficient Carbon Dioxide in the air now, compared to its historical environment. So I put it in our cool bedroom at a north window, where we breathe CO2 on it all night.

It'll have a prime patio spot come Spring!

FYI (to repeat) I read several internet sites suggest that Wollemia nobilis want NO phosphorus in any fertilizer they receive.