Lighting for indoor plants- GE light bulb?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mrscliffy, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mrscliffy

mrscliffy Member

I recently moved to a new home and I don't think that my rat tail cactus is getting enough light. Most of our windows face northwest and it gets dark pretty early here now that daylight savings is over. I want to get a lamp to provide some light for the cactus. I saw that GE sells a "plant light;" however, the package just says that the bulb makes plants look healthier and greener. Is this bulb different from a "grow bulb?" What kind of bulb is best? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

3. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

If you only want light 1 plant a decent wattage (42 watts and up) of compact fluorescent spiral bulb can help and isn't too expensive to buy or operate. With fixture/socket and a timer you light up several square feet.

Shaun

4. alabama

alabama Active Member

I just read a book on light gardening. They suggest a standard fluorescent fixture with two 40 watt cool white tubes 6 inches above the plant. Use of a reflector increases the light output of the bulbs. I got the book at the local library.

Gardening Under Lights
    by
    Wendy B. Murphy.

5. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I started growing plants indoors about 8 years ago. At first I bought different types of special bulbs - gro lights or whatever - that cost an arm and a leg. Then I read an article by an old timer - the sort of guy who writes articles about making Christmas decorations out of old coffee grounds - who said that standard cheapie fluorescent bulbs were perfectly adequate, so that is what I started using. He was right. Now I buy solely on the price point.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

compact flourescent bulbs are ok but you need to consider the spectrum. some are red spectrum and some are full spectrum, full spectrum are better for growing, red are better if flowering. beware the wattage, it can be deceptive for comparison.