Question about replanting my Umbrella Tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by moonlitpath, Nov 18, 2007.

1. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

I bought an Umbrella Tree recently. It's currently in a 14" black plastic container, that plants usually come in. Do I replant it in a 16" planter or a 14"? Can I use a glazed pot or a clay pot, if I can find one in that size, because right now I'm having a hard time finding a planter that big.

Also, can I use regular soil mix with a little bit of perlite or do I use a cactus soil mix?

Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

*moonlitpath*

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. moonlitpath

Thank you Liz!

So it doesn't really matter if I use cactus soil or the regular potting mix with the perlite then? Should I have a layer of rocks on the bottom of the pot?

*moonlitpath*

4. Liz

I always put drainage in bottom of pots but that is my way of doing things. Re yr mixture cactus soil might be a little light on the tropical forest humus stuff :) A good quality potting soil with some slow release fertilizer will do the trick.

Liz

5. moonlitpath

I usually put a layer of rocks on the bottom for drainage, but now that its cold out to go digging for rocks. What do you use to put on the bottom of the pot for drainage??

*moonlitpath*

6. Liz

Usually gravel we have a large one here used for roads based on basalt called blustone. The other one is broken terracotta pots. You could not put stuff in the bottom but raise your pot off the ground with two bits of board or some other device that allowes the drainage. Platic bottle caps like little feet......

Liz

7. moonlitpath

That's a good idea. I always heard just to put a chip of a broken terra cota pot over the drainage hole, but I've always wondered what if it started to deteriorate or move and actually block the drainage hole.

Anyway, I was goin to go to Lowes today and look for a big enough pot for the umbrella tree and maybe some orchid potting mix and some gravel of some sort.

Thank you Liz for your much needed help!!!

.*.moonlitpath.*.