Free orchids

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by tthomas11, Nov 15, 2007.

1. tthomas11

tthomas11 Member

I have a type of Dendrobium orchid that propagates by shooting roots out of the plant stem and then falls off. I have about 10 of these new growths. The parent orchid has produced many of these small orchids. I am trying to find a home for them. If you would like one or know of anyone who would like one then please let me know. I will give them away on a first come first serve basis. I wish I could better describe the orchid.

thank you,

T

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

move your thread to the Orchidaceae above this one of the Bamboos and Grasses and you may get some hits!!?
    The dendrobium is prob. a nobile type.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

And to prevent it from forming Keikis instead of flowers (the dormant buds can become either..), keep it cooler (5-12ºC @ night & 15-25ºC daytime) and drier (just mist the exposed roots every 2-3 days & water only occasionally...canes should shrivel a little) with lots of light.

D. nobile fact sheet

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to orchid forum)

5. msbrpna

msbrpna Member

I'd like to have a free Dendroblum!! Are there any left? How/when can I get them. I live in East Vancouver near main street.

6. dean1956

dean1956 Member

Hi, I have just joined this forum and it looks like a lot of fun and a world of knowledge.
    How wonderful of you to offer the orchids. I would love to have one but you must teach me a thing or two for success as I have never raised an orchid before. Thanks, Dean

7. lshelton

lshelton Member

I would love one if you still have some left. P;ease email me.

8. bilkhugs

bilkhugs Member

(: "Its always more fun to share with every-one" :)

How cool of you to offer those.

I am very interested if I'm not too late.

Just let me know what to do?

Thanks a lot,
    GB

9. tthomas11

tthomas11 Member

Hi,

If you would like an orchid then please feel free to email through this bulletin board. Please do so with your personal email or some other way of contacting you. If you would like one then you'll have to come by and pick one up. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to mail them. All you need to do is be able to pick one up.

thanks

10. bilkhugs

bilkhugs Member

Sure, I understand not mailing them. I would be happy to pick one up, only I am in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. and If I'm correct, Burnaby is near Vancuver? If so, I thank you anyway.

GB

11. tthomas11

tthomas11 Member

That is right.

cheers Trev

12. lshelton

lshelton Member

There is no contact information...so no way of emailing you. I can not pick up but if you would be willing to mail to Pender I would be willing to mail you some plants in exchange.

13. dean1956

dean1956 Member

ttthomas, Unfortunately I also live to far away to pick up, South Carolina but can mail you a few hibiscus seeds from this years bloom. I just learned mine is a coccineus hibiscus. Just need to know how to email you.