Speaking of hybrids

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by etropicals, Nov 15, 2007.

1. etropicals

etropicals Member

I am trying to research a common plant being sold everyone, but by different names. I wouls like to know if Anthurium radicans X dresslerii is the same as Anthurium radicans X splendidum.

I found some info that Anthurium Luxurians used to be called Splendidum. Does anyone have both and can provide pics and a discription of what differentiates the two? Or is it just the same plant that has gone by two names?

2. stone jaguar

stone jaguar Member

etropicals:

A very good query that I am somewhat surprised others have not made before (publicly, at least). Both crosses were apparently made at Selby in the mid/late 90s...I have a large ex-TC plant at the greenhouse that, based on size and leaf morphology, is almost certainly Anthurium radicans x luxurians. I remade the cross A. radicans x A. dressleri (ex-type locality) in 2003; the plants from the grex look quite different from what is being sold as same in the 'States (see attached images of one taken earlier this year). I should mention that there are at least three different ecotypes of A. dressleri from eastern Panamá & Colombia and that the origin of the pollen parent will certainly influence the appearance of their kids, particularly with regard to new leaf color. I don't know what ecotype was used in the cross that circulated in the 'States a few years back. I have heard from several informed sources that the offspring from radicans crosses are mules, but I have not tested this myself with a view to making F2s. What I will say from my own experience is that the size and speed with which the micropropagated plants in the trade grow are very much different that my remake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish that I could give you a definitive answer as to which is which up there, but I can't. I will say that, based partially on images I have seen posted on the web and partially on all of the plants I have had contact with in the trade in the U.S., I am more inclined to think that the most commonly offered clones are A. radicans x luxurians, rather than A. radicans x dressleri. Different vendors seem to favor one name or the other. BTW; before they were put into TC this was a VERY expensive plant in the 'States (US$ 200.00+ in 2001).

Anthurium splendidum and A. luxurians are two different spp.. You can find info about this species complex in "Aroideana" Vol. 28/2005...this journal is available for sale online at the IAS website. I am not sure whether the first sp. persists in cultivation in the U.S.. Formerly Dr. R. Cirino, junior author of the aforementioned paper, did grow it as a terrarium subject from wild-collected material in California. The Rotolantes reportedly also had it for a while. It is near legendary for being extremely difficult in captivity.

I agree with Lariann Gardner that A. radicans is quite easy in warm cultivation but very deliberate in its growth. It does very well in baskets with treefern fiber or similar media. Cuttings slow to root, but with patience can be established in small pots, again with free-draining media. There is little variation amongst most of the plants being grown, partly probably due to a limited amount of material in the cultivated genetic pool. Outcrossed seedlings do appear to be faster-growing overall than cuttings.

Good luck.

J

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  3. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I can take photos of the plants I have to compare to the ones you guys have.