Parrott Flower

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by gagee, Nov 9, 2007.

1. gagee

gagee Member

Is it possible to find a parrott flower around here to buy?

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Which particular parrot flower do you mean?

Ed

3. chemicalx

chemicalx Active Member

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Since it not apparent which "parrot flower" you mean it is tough to tell you if you can buy one. There is a heliconia that is often called a "parrot flower" and it is commonly sold in the summer at garden centers. If you are referring to the "parrot flower" from Thailand, that one is tough. That one is Impatiens psittacina and only two people I've ever located have found seeds and attempted to grow the specimen. So far, it appears not even these two have been able to make it survive past one year. You can find articles on the net on Impatiens psittacina. The government of Thailand has a total ban on exporting seeds and plants.

Common names often make it difficult to determine which genus and species is being asked about.

5. gagee

gagee Member

Thanks. That's the one I was inquiring about. (The one f/Thailand.)

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I wish you luck, but I don't like your chances

Ed

7. photopro

Here twp links that will give you a lot more information:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Rare Thailand Parrot Flower buy one SP.html

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Rare Thailand Parrot Flower SP.html

With the help of several botanical experts, we've tracked down quite a few scientific references to Impatiens psittacina in recognized botanical source books. Several scientists have helped with the text on the primary link above.

As much as many of us would like to grow one, not a single botanical garden in North America has the plant on display. A lot of people will try to tell you they have it, but the species they have is actually one that is invasive in parts of North America. I can't tell you how many people have sent me email photos attempting to prove they have this plant. So far, not one has the real thing. But who knows, maybe someone will risk going to Thailand to bring one back! You'll understand what I mean when you read the first link.

8. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

gagee,
    you may not be able to get ahold of I. psitticina, but there are some other equally cool Impatiens you can get here.
    I. niamniamensis is very cool looking, so is I. hians and I. arguta.
    I have all of these plants in my collection, I purchased them from Kartuz greenhouse.
    The niamniamensis in particular has the "parrot" look.

9. photopro

Just thought some of you might want to know I've been asked to do a follow up on the Garden Rebel radio show this morning during the 11:00AM eastern time hour. The subject is the Rare Thailand Parrot Flower, Impatiens psittacina. You can listen live at this link:

http://www.radioamerica.org/

Just click the audio button at the top for the live show beginning at 11:00AM eastern US time. For those of you in the Central zone, that will be 10:00AM. And for those in the western zone, 8:00AM. In Australia, you'll just have to figure it out!!

Steve