Acer carpinifolium 'Esveld Select'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kaydye, Mar 4, 2007.

1. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have been re-examining my maple books for "must have" maples to order this year and I keep coming back to A. carpinifolium 'Esveld Select'. Is there a source in the United States selling this cultivar? I did a Google search and got garbage and got nothing from a search on this forum. There's a photo on Maples for Gardens on page 48 and I just love the leaves.
    Kay Dye

2. conifers

conifers Active Member

Esveld Nursery/Webpages/Plant Photos is from Europe. All my specialty plant resources, I can think of not once ever seeing this cultivar for sale here in the US.

Dax

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi send one E-mail to info@esveld.nl and ask if delivery in your state .alex66

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Importation of maples used to be restricted, probably still is. I'd want to make sure this clone was REALLY unusual before going through a bunch of rigamarole to get it.

5. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Alex66,
    I did email them once probably a year or so ago, just to see if they shipped to the US and they pretty much discouraged it. If I remember right, they didn't actually say no, but I know I have not considered it since contacting them. Their photos and list of maples is so outstanding.
    Kay

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is what is said at Esveld's website:

The regulations of the Phytosanitary Services must always be observed; the importation of soil is almost always prohibited. Please ask for details before placing an order. If so required all plants must be washed and cleaned carefully, which is virtually impossible to do in such a way that guarantees that all plants will survive. Therefore no responsibility for losses can be taken by us. Also the cost of washing and packing is so high, that it becomes prohibitive, especially on small orders. Another factor is that we do not have the capability to wash ourselves. There is a nursery in Boskoop that does have this capability, we can arrange for you to perform this job.

Due to the very high costs involved and the risks we must ask for a prepayment for orders to be washed. The amount to be prepaid is the total of the order plus 100% for the washing and packing and shipping C.I.F. If the value of the order is higher than EURO 2500.-- then the surcharge is 85%. If the value of the order is EURO 5000.-- or higher then the surcharge is 70%. Unfortunately due to the high cost of washing and shipping it is not possible to ship orders below EURO 500,--, unless the customer is willing to pay the minimum surcharge, which is EURO 500.--. Please wait with your prepayment until we have confirmed your order.

Sending shipments to the USA has proven to be extremely difficult because of the way the US Customs treats shipments with plants. They tend to take several weeks to clear a shipment, sometimes charging high costs for no apparent reason. We can NEVER take any responsibility for any such incidents! Also we can NEVER be held responsible for losses sustained during transit of a shipment!

USA requires washing.

From this it seems rather hopeless for individuals in the USA to order abroad.
    In Europe, within the European Union + Switzerland, there is free flow of plants with no rectrictions whatsoever and no need of any type of certificates. This is a big, big, big improvement from the time (not long ago) when it was cumbersome and expensive.

Gomero

7. alex66

Bravo' Gomero!Kaydke I have similar stories about acer "Tegmentosum Joe Witt"and acer saccarum" Kaliopy"with USA nurserey that not send in EU, this problem for plant !!but not for gasoline , Mc Donalds ,Italian style,Ferrari cars,Coke,are more cleaned this articles?

8. alex66

hi Kaydke i seen today that Stanley and Soons nursery in Oregon have in catalog this maple....

9. Dendo

Dendo Member

No Acers are allowed entry from Europe . Keep this in mind when ordering maples from Europe .

Dendo

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

11. alex66

Dendo some nursery have European maple, like Fire Glow that is one maple select in Italy by Gilardelli ,because have a special licence or like Gomero write above is possible with particolar method ,washing roots etc.etc.
    regards alex

12. Dendo

Dendo Member

Even with a phyto certificate and washing soil off roots no Acers are allowed into the US .

They may be enterable under a special Quaranteen permit where you have to keep it in a special inclosure away from all other trees and the state inspects it for a few years . Under this type of permit you even have to noyify the state and show the inspector the plant if it dies .

13. Ellen S

Ellen S Member

Both Forestfarm.com and MendocinoMaples.com offer Acer carpinifolium. I bought mine at Tsugawa in Woodland, WA.