Identification: Bonsai Identification

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bonsai11234, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Bonsai11234

Bonsai11234 Member

I went and bought this Bonsai at Ikea yesterday (called "Bonsai Mix"), but I can't identify it. I really need to know what type it is, and how to care for it, since I have been told that Bonsais die very easily. Attached are some images of the plant.

Attached Files:

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Have no idea what it is. Reminds me of something in the Rosaceae and in fact it reminds me of some vine.
    One thing though the image shows is that the plant is possibly in too much shade?? Look at the new growth and the spacing between the leaves says that the plant needs more light or you may end up with a bonsai that is too "viny"! If it is in heavy shade slowly recondition it to sun by moving it out into less shady spots until you can get it into full sun then you can control how much full sun it will get.
    Once your plant is conditioned to sun then I would pop off the growing tips on the new branches in order to try and get control over the shape of the plant otherwise you may end up having to do some major shaping to regain its structural beauty.
    The plant appears well watered. When did you water and have you any kind of schedule that you follow. What kind of soil is the plant in? If unsure then maybe you might try taking off some of the soil after you have watered. Take enough to fill one palm. If the soil is still wet after watering then squeeze the palm-full that you have taken off. If very little water comes out then your soil may be draining well. If alot of water comes out when you squeeze then you may want to consider on reducing the amount of water your give it and the frequency that you water. Lift the potted plant after watering and keep a note of how heavy it is. You can weigh it and keep a note of that weight to guide you. What I generally do is to try and rewater when roughly half the soil has dried out but that is with a mix that literally drains rapidly as though when you water all the water just goes through the mix though in actuality it really does not as some is absorbed.
    You need to find out about any Bonsai clubs in your area. You can get a great deal of help from the members of such a club.
    Also you do need to find out what the plant is and so check with a local nursery or possibly a botanic garden if that would be the only source of info for you. If you find out please post it here. Thanks.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

That's a ficus, probably a "Green Island", a variety of Ficus microcarpa. It's been trained into a ridiculous shape, however, but if you can get past that, you could have a nice tree eventually. MOST important - ficus need to get mostly dry between waterings, which should then be done well, but you'll be better off if you get it repotted into fast draining (very fast) soil, one with no peat and lots of gritty stuff like that small aquarium gravel that's not painted in bright colors, plus lots of perlite (not vermiculite). Keep it in the sun outside til temps go below 55-ish at night but protect from heavy rain (once it's in a proper mix, that won't be so crucial). There are lots of bonsai clubs in CA, so look around for one to help you repot (and learn how to root prune, etc.).

4. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Hey Rima!
    The man is in Switzerland!!
    Ficus microcarpa? Thanks as now I can check it out too!!!

5. Tisha

Tisha Member

Hi there!

We've got the same problem - we bought BONSAI MIX in IKEA (but in Moscow) and we cannot identify it too)))))))) We cannot find the exact type of plant in internet because it depends on the type of initial plant((((((( Also need help

Our bonsai is the same, but the leafs are small and mat, and not glossy like your ficus.

Also downloaded general care instructions for bonsai, but still haven't found the exact type of our plant.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

If you post a picture then people can ID your tree.

7. Tisha

Tisha Member

8. Tisha

Tisha Member

The leafs of our "pet" started to get dry at the edges of the crown, as if someone would burn them with a lighter. I'm afraid we're doing something wrong, though we take care of the tree according to bonsai care instructions(((((( it's been only a week or two since we bought it. Don't want it to die(((((

9. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

It would appear you have a species of Ficus.

Your leaf damage may be a result of the change in environment. Most plants are grown in large greenhouses with the proper temperature, air circulation, humidity, light, etc....then, they get placed into a truck, transported to retail outlets, and then you purchase them and place them in your home. It is all very stressful to the plant.

Place the plant where it can get the most light. Avoid cold drafts (the weather is starting to get cold). Water your plant well when you do water. Sometimes the kitchen sink works well. Let the water finish dripping from the bottom, then place a little water in your drip tray for humidity. Make sure the water in the drip tray does not reach the bottom of the pot. Let the soil nearly dry out before watering again. During the winter months, the plant will likely slow its growth, so you may not need to fertilize until this Spring. Organic fertilizers tend to work best, as they are low in salts that cause burnt leaf tips.

Mark

10. Tisha

Tisha Member

Mark,

THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!

I wonder if artificial light is ok for bonsai. Now the days in Moscow are short and mostly cloudy, and I think there's not enough light for the plant.

11. markinwestmich

An artificial light would help. I am not sure if it is needed if you have a window with southern exposure, though.

Moscow is only 10* N latitude of Grand Rapids, Michigan, and this time of year, it is cloudy nearly every day due to the winds blowing off of Lake Michigan. Most of my plant collection is succulent plants. They do fine over the winter, as most will be in a period of dormancy, or "quiescence". Moscow will have a little less light, lower on the horizon than Grand Rapids, but not significantly.

In Spring, once your overnight temperatures warm up, you can bring the plant outdoors. Shady spot for a few weeks, then to a spot where it can get a few hours of sun in the morning or late afternoon.

Mark

12. Ota

Ota Member

for Bonsai11234: your tree is surely Chinese Privet Ligustrum sinense, not a Ficus.

for Tisha: not a Ficus too, it is Serissa foetida

You can find a lot of information about bonsai here
    Look at SPECIES GUIDES ...

Ota

13. markinwestmich

Thank you for the information, Ota.

I have always found it a little difficult to identify some of these small-leaf, tropical/sub-tropical trees as bonsai. Especially, since many have a similar leaf shape as the Ficus that are commonly sold as bonsai. Unless there is a flower, or the plant is somewhat unpruned, distinguishing characteristics can be a bit difficult to discern from a photograph. At least it is for me.

Tisha, if what you have is, indeed Siressa foetida, it is going to look awesome when in bloom.

14. Ota

Ota Member

You're welcome, Mark ;-)
    Sometimes it is hard to identify a plant, especially with confusing name as "Bonsai Mix". However with Ficus it is more simple due to the latex flow from broken leaves or branches. Of course it is not possible with photos :-)
    Regards,

Ota

15. Tisha

Tisha Member

Ota,

Cool! It really IS Serissa Foetida!!! Thank you so much!!! If we knew what type of bonsai it is, we would have bought a less sophisticated tree, for they say it's not for newbies. But those Serissas were surely the cutest among other Ikea bonsai trees))))

16. Tisha

Tisha Member

Yeah, I already saw the pictures of it in blossom!!! Hope it will stay alive until spring, we'll try not to kill it.

17. Tisha

Tisha Member

I have only one question left:

Feeding with what? Is there a particular kind of "food supplement" for each type of bonsai, or a universal supplement for all kinds of bonsai plants available at any flower shop? Thanks in advance!

18. markinwestmich

http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/fertilizer.html

These are the types of products you might want to try. Personally, I favor the organic fertilizers, both the liquid and the small cakes that sit on top of the soil. Slow release granular fertilizers are also popular. The liquid inorganic fertilizers can create salt buildup and burn the leaves of container plants.

There really isn't a product for each type of bonsai. Plants that flower may benefit from fertilizers specifically formulated to support more blooms. With bonsai, the goal is some degree of growth restriction. Therefore, when you do use fertilizers, you need to use small amounts.

19. Tisha

Tisha Member

Mark,

Thank you!!!

20. ettnboy

ettnboy Member

I have a plant that I think is identical to the one pictured. I have had it for 7-10 years. This year is the first it has ever been outside. What was I waiting for????? New strong growth and, for the first time, beautiful red flowers (all over the plant). Somebody please tell me the name of this plant, please.

21. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Post a picture if you can.

22. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Especially close-ups of the flowers. :)

23. GSol

GSol Member

Hi, came across this thread and you guys helped me identify my bonsai :-)
    Thought I'd post some pictures. Since I took these, there are more flowers. Very nice display!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011