Cool inflos on Anthurium plowmannii

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bihai, Nov 7, 2007.

1. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I bought this plant for $15 at one of the Botanical Garden spring sales here in my town. It was absolutely huge and has been a great plant. The vendor was from Central FL and had maybe 10 of these with him. I just saw one on eBay selling for over $60, so I guess the Anthurium craze isn't exactly over, LOL.

Anyway, mine has 2 really cool inflos on it at present. Its the first time it has bloomed for me, and they look sorta like little conical pyramids to me.

Attached Files:

2. trikus

trikus Active Member

Regina it will fill up with seeds in no time and look like this .

Attached Files:

3. bihai

Gnarley, dude!

4. trikus

trikus Active Member

This species is actually a bit difficult to grow for me . Many of the Pachynerium grow on steep rocky slopes , and thats where this sp. comes from . The wet tropics can stress it , even growing in super well drained media . These pics were taken up on the tablelands , a bit cooler and much dryer . As you can see , once this sp. is mature it can flower continuosly , one infructesence with a few infloresnces coming on .

Attached Files:

5. bihai

I have noticed that this one has produced a whole, WHOLE lot of aeriel roots coming up out of the soil. I have it planted next to a Darian palm (which it currently dwarfs, LOL, hope the tables turn on that pretty soon) which requires a lot of water, but the Darian is in a gully so that extra water runs off to it, that helps keep the rest of the stuff planted around it on higher ground a bit drier.

6. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

Mike, about how many inches of rainfall annually do you get? For some reason I thought A. plowmannii came from humid areas of western Amazonia but could be localized in drier patches of savannah?

7. trikus

trikus Active Member

Well we get lotsa inches of rain , this Feb there was 56 of them .
    It rains so much we have to use meters , approx 5 every year .

snip from Toms description here ;;

Anthurium plowmanii ranges from Brazil (Acre, Amazonas, Mato Grosso and
    Rondônia) to Bolivia (La Paz, Pando and Santa Cruz), Paraguay (Amambay) and Peru
    (San Martín) at 50 to 900 m, typically in the dry forest life zones of Peru and
    the varzea and terra firme habitats of Brazil.