wisteria bug problem

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sophie, Jun 3, 2003.

1. sophie

sophie Member

I have a healthy wisteria that is being eaten by something. It started eating the leaves at the bottom of the plant and within a week it has know worked it's way up to the top. It seems to be eating the leaves closest to the trunk all the way up. I assume then it is some bug going up and down the plant by climbing the trunk. The leaves look like swiss cheese and then they shrivel and die. Some leaves are also appearing have their chlorophyll taken out in spots. I cannot find any bugs, but there are tiny little hard black "droppings?" left on the leaves. They are very small. This is going very quickly and I think I might lose the plant. Any ideas? I have attached a photo.

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Wisteria are robust plants that are sometimes even considered "weedy" because they are difficult to kill. Yours is being attacked by something -- in all probability, a little green looper (caterpillar) of some kind -- and the damage looks serious, but typically, such attacks are common, short-lived, and will not affect the ultimate health of the plant.

See also the UBC Botanical Garden interpretive sign on lianas.

3. sophie

sophie Member

Your right!

The mystery bugs have gone and I think the plant will be fine. Thank-you for the help!

4. loveplants

loveplants Member

Bugs are killing my blue chinese wisteria Can you help me?

This plant or vine was dorng really well for 1/2 of year and then all a sudden I saw bear vines where there should have been tiny leave growth, and then very tiny black bugs, like maybe an afard how ever spell that. It almost looks like coffee granuales and the plant actually looks dirty where these bugs are eating or killing my plant!. I dont know what to use this plant. I do know its harming my plant and even may kill it. What kind of bug killer should I use. thank you