Is it 'Fairyhair' or 'Fairy Hair'?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by spookiejenkins, Oct 23, 2007.

1. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

I just acquired a teeny tiny little A. p. 'Fairy Hair'. I know that it is a Bucholz (please forgive me if I spelled that wrong) introduction but am a little confused about the name.

I have about 95 cultivars in my humble collection now and this is BY FAR the most expensive of the bunch. As I mentioned, it is VERY small, so I am a little nervous about caring for it.

It is currently in a 3" round, in which it was shipped, and I am hesitant to repot it until spring.

From the little bit of info I gleaned fron the Internet, most growers keep 'Fairyhair' in a greenhouse (cold of course). I don't have such luxury accomodations for my little tree in a pot, but I live on the Eastern Shore of VA where the winters are fairly moderate.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the care of this tiny 'Fairy Hair'?

I'll post a picture, but no laughing at my Charlie Brown Christmas tree!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This says it's 'Koto ito komachi' (do a Find for "fairy" to find pertinent comment).

http://themapleforum.com/showthread.php?t=32

'Koto ito komachi' originated at Maplewood nursery (J.D. Vertrees). It is described on p. 164 of Third Edition, JAPANESE MAPLES.

3. spookiejenkins

Thanks for that link. Interesting discussion there, but it seems there is major controversy about this one in that forum too. I have a 'Koto no ito' and I have seen 'Koto ito komachi' and this 'Fairy Hair', or whatever it is, has leaves even finer. Maybe I am just a dufus, but I'm not entirely convinced that 'Fairyhair' is just another name for 'Koto ito komachi'... I do understand that VERY UNFORTUNATELY some nurseries just slap a new name on stuff just to introduce it, sell more, or avoid royalties. Stinkers.

From BloomRiver.com:
    Growth Habit: 18-24 inch twiggy mound in 10 years
    USDA Zone: 5-9 Exposure: filtered sun
    Growing Conditions: acidic, well-drained soil
    Comments: Rare! This one is special! Very narrow, thread-like, contorted foliage opens a subtle red, becoming green for summer. Recently selected by Talon Buchholz of Buchholz and Buchholz Nursery. Plant Size: 6-9 inch Price: $95.00

From GosslerFarms.com: ACER PALMATUM FAIRY HAIR comes to us from plantsman Talon Buchholz. We had A. p. 'Fairy Hair' two years ago and sold out very quickly because of the hair like leaves. The maple leaf is so fine it's almost hard to imagine it's a maple. This plant makes an excellent container specimen. 1 gal. $85.00

From WorldPlants.com where it is mentioned as a separate cultivar: The name is usually translated "harp of string", the koto being, if not exactly a harp, at least a stringed instrument. The leaf lobes on this tree are indeed among the narrowest of any cultivar. 'Koto ito komachi' and 'Fairy Hair' deserve mention in this category. Some leaves may revert to wider form, then return to the narrow form the following year. Any that don't return need to be removed. This cultivar should eventually grow to 10', with a narrower spread. Leaves are bright light green in summer, yellow in fall. A knockout. Best with protection from hot afternoon sun.

There is even a photo thread here on the UBC site - search Acer palmatum 'Fairyhair'.

I am not so curious about the innerds of this controversy as I am care of my little, vulnerable, expensive tree.

About the spelling, 'Fairy Hair' or 'Fairyhair', I just wondered which one was the original name. For sale on the net you mostly see 'Fairy Hair', but I want to be correct and little pestery stuff like that bugs me. :)

4. SilverVista

SilverVista Active Member

I have two Fairy Hair (or Fairyhair, I'm not sure which is correct) in 2-gal containers in my greenhouse. So far, my observations have been that while the leaves themselves are so fine that they burn/dry out even inside a protected shadehouse in the summer, the dormant buds and branches are no more tender in winter than any other very slender-branched Japanese Maple. In addition to the recommendation for filtered sun that you printed out above, I'd suggest a spot that is sheltered from wind and very dry air.

5. xman

xman Active Member

Katie,

I bought a 1 gallon fairy hair from topiary gardens a couple of weeks ago along with 7 other cultivars (all 1 gallons). They were are all shipped semi-bareroot, and I have potted them up in 1 gallon containers. In the last 2 weeks all the other cultivars have shown some fall color and dropped their leaves in quick succession, except the fairy hair, it looks nice green and healthy. I do not know if it took the shipping stress better or what. I checked with the grower abouts its hardiness after seeing your first email and she mentioned that it was pretty hardy and that she does not keep them in the green house.
    Next year in the TX heat will show it hardiness. In TX "if it ain't real hardy, it'll be dead".

xman

6. spookiejenkins

Hi Xman! Thanks for chiming in. My little tree is still really green and happy too - as most of my others are changing to their fall colors and defoliating. I am glad to know that yours is the same. Its been really warm here and a few of my trees are trying to grow a few leaves, (and even the 'FH' has swollen buds) so I was a little worried that it had been in a greenhouse...

I am a Texan and know just how hard it is on maples there, so do let me know what happens to your little 'FH'. Already, I am thinking it is much tougher than it looks. Do you have any particular JM favorites for Texas?

About your recent purchase from Topiary Gardens - are you very happy with your purchase? I am always looking for a nursery that is truly passionate about maples and has the quality product to prove it. So far, in all my collecting, the only maple nursery I would recommend to anyone is Eastfork. Unfortunately, I have ordered a few trees from other nurseries lately and been SUPREMELY disappointed - even feeling ripped off. I really love my little trees and am proud of my collection, so it saddens me considerably when I get bum trees. I hope to find a nursery that is as goofy about JMs as I am.

I appreciate the info - thanks again!

7. nelran

nelran Active Member

Certainly, Xman, a real (and sometimes, cruel) true. As you are saying, If any JM cultivar can pass the "fireproof" test of the Texan summers, (that's mean just survive), it can keep the appellative "Hardy" -with all honors- .

By the way, Katie I really CAN confirm what you're saying. some months ago, I just also contacted Topiary Gardens to put an order. Due part of the maples that I wanted was not listed in its web page, I decided to write an e-mail to Topiary and in that occasion I received some pictures from the specimens. I like the specimen so later I sent several e-mails, but I didn't get any answer. (I just wanted to know how to make a payment, confirmation and delivery time). Sorting in the web I found Eastfork nursery So I decide to put an order with them and also wrote an e-mail. The service was excellent and straight forward: Sam (Samantha) "The Maple Lady" is a kindly person and really a "Maple nut", as she wrote me in one of her e-mails :), She do everything, repoting, staking, pruning, delivery, packing and also she's webmaster!. I received my cultivars in fairly well condition for the six day travel. I'm very happy with the service, so as Katie, I will strongly recommend this nursery. She will have a new catalog with additional cultivars soon, so I'm waiting for it to put my next order.

Nelson

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  8. Ron B

'Fairy Hair' could just amount to a different clone of 'Koto ito komachi' that isn't actually distinct enough to be legitimately called another cultivar. Or, if it was originated by Buchholz nursery they may have some basis for considering it distinct.

9. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

This Maple is listed in the Buchholz & Buchholz
    Nursery 2005-2006 Lining-out Catalog by the
    name 'Fairyhair' on page 6.

It is a selected out form from 'Koto ito komachi'.
    'Fairyhair' is different enough in its overall leaf
    structure and the petiole length [especially on
    the uppermost portions of the tree] to distinguish
    itself from the older known forms (more than one
    of them, such as the Kansai parent plant and the
    more commonly seen in Oregon Kleim form)
    'Koto ito komachi' plants to deserve the naming.

Jim

10. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

So 'Fairyhair'.
    Happy to learn those details as i acquired my plant from same source as Spookie/Katie. Tree was in 3" pot well rooted and lots of buds but really pricey, 10" tall.

Jim thanks for answer.

Pic shows plant after potted up looking rather pathetic and leaves not yet especially hair-like.

Attached Files:

11. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

I have always wanted to buy from Topiary Gardens but they do not ship
    to California so I have never tried but I hear the woman who owns Topiary
    is a wonderful maple enthuisiast. FYI I do NOT baby my Fairyhair - it's out
    in "the warm California sun" like the rest of the containers though I do keep
    a paternal eye on it. I got mine from Collector's Nursery which I believe is
    restarting their business this Spring.

12. Ron B

Buchholz listing does not establish that 'Fairyhair' is original presentation intended by originator unless Talon was originator - something that could certainly be the case, of course. If it is the first catalog listing anywhere, since Buchholz is selecting new Japanese maples one might assume it was their plant, but that might not be the case at all. They could have gotten it from someone else.

13. xman

xman Active Member

Katie,

Like Katsura mentioned, the woman who owns Topiary gardens is a wonderful maple enthuisiast, she even has a cultivar named after her "Diana's Gem" . I have bought about 12 trees from her (she had also grafted scions that I have sent her) and have alway found her very responsive. I am not sure why she did not respond back to Nelson, I still email her almost on a daily basis and she always responds ASAP.
    I have read good things about Eastfork nursery too, but I have not had the opportunity to buy from Sam yet.
    I have about 30 maples, all in containers, and have been growing them just for the last 3 or 4 years. Every year has been a learning process both for the trees and myself. This is the first year that my maples all have most of their leaves(about 10% scorch) and am hoping to see some fall color. So looks like I am finally getting the hang of soil mix, watering, fertilizing etc. Most of maples are the common cultivars that are supposed to take the TX heat better, so no favorites yet as they all seem to be performing equally good or bad.
    A few weeks ago I got some cultivars that I did not have, Ukigumo, Ariadne, purple ghost, sister ghost, Fairyhair, and abigail rose. I want to see how these perform next year.

xman

14. nelran

nelran Active Member

Yes, xman, Certainly Diana is a very kindly person and really passionate with the JMs. It just I didn't get her contact anymore after our initial approach. I'm not sure if the e-mail has some mispelling; but anyway, I still l'm interested for the specimens she shown me before so I will try to contact her, again. Thanks for your reply.
    I'm glad that your JMs are performing very well this year. I'm having the same learning process than you, sometimes trial an error with soil mix, drainage, mulch, shade/sun exposure, water, location, potted or planted, etc. Sometimes I think it's a miracle that this trees are thriving better than my spectations. About cultivars, well, I just can say that I have what I found around here (plus the recently addition of 3 tiny one gallon shirasawanums received by mail). In general, some are performing better than others, several are oustanding, and others are so far so good now; but most of them are doing well. I would like to add some others cultivars: Tsuma gaki, Vitrifolium, Otaki, Sister Gost.... Oh, I forgot the Texas summer!...next time...

15. Mapleman

Mapleman Member Maple Society

'Fairyhair' is a Buchholz plant and is very different from 'Koto ito komachi' that I have. First of all my Fairyhair emerges with a red cast on the tiny foliage in spring. Also I have never seen 'Fairhair' put out large more wider lobed leaves like Koto ito komachi is prone to do.

16. Poetry to Burn

Maple thanks for those details. The provenance of my FH is a little bit suspect. I will be on the lookout for any broadening of the lobes. I hope i have a case of 'you get what you paid for' because i definitely paid.

17. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

I would definitely recommend worldplants.com as a very good nursery for JM lovers--they have hundreds of varieties, at affordable prices (the most expensive ones are only $25.00). The only drawback is that they're mostly one-year trees, and need a lot more TLC than older plants. But, I've ordered 6 or more from them, the service is great, they always respond to emails well, and they're nice!

18. Poetry to Burn

Ya i agree. I have a few maples from World Plants and would say that for harder to find maples their plants are a good value.

A shirasawanum that i puchased there, I believe, was mislabeled. It's a nice looking plant a lot like 'Microphyllum' but labelled as 'Johin'. I'll post pics when it leafs out.

Re: Topiary Gardens. Received a 'Woods#2' and a 'Sensu' from Diana today. Both had excellent roots, nice plants good value.

Gil

Update: The plant that i suspected to be mislabeled now looks exactly like 'Johin'

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  19. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey "other" mapleman,
    I am about to receive a 'Koto Ito Komachi' from a grower, who claims to have direct progeny of the original plant...and it appears he is right. His KIK plants have a very red cast in the spring, as opposed to your green plant, and his form I have not seen any plants revert to wider lobes--I think that you probably have a mislabled 'Koto No Ito'. Just a thought.

David

20. Poetry to Burn

This plant gained about 4.5" so far this season. The lobes have fattened up a bit since leafing out. The coloring on new stem growth is in handsome contrast to the 'leaves'.

Attached Files:

21. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

I just got in my Fairyhair from Eastfork last friday--and it is very nice! A good bonsai specimen; mine already could be one! But still a nice container plant. Here it is:

Attached Files:

22. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Poetry to burn: I was comparing the picture you posted of the fairyhair when you first got it vs. this season's photo. It looks so nice now! =]

23. Poetry to Burn

Thanks JM

It is growing faster than I expected. Right now it is still pushing new growth very slowly. The mix that I potted it in should hold up for a few years so I will not repot this year or next. Next spring should be really great but even now it's a nice plant.

G

24. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

It's a really pretty little tree--even when it's little! David

25. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hi all,

Now my 'Fairyhair' (or is it 'Fairy hair'? LOL) has a little leaf burn--but that is only because it's been sent halfway across the country and repotted now twice. When I received it the root system was very small, which was surprising, but I just repotted it the other day and the root system had doubled or tripled in size so hopefully it will put out a lot of growth next year. Mine's "pedigree" is good because it is directly from Buchholz (a liner from Eastfork) so I know it's the right thing. Am I the only person with some leaf burn or is it just my fault?

Regards,
    David