Problems With Leonotis leonurus

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by s13paul, Oct 24, 2007.

1. s13paul

s13paul Member

Hello everyone, just posting this message in regards to a new addition to my garden. I recently purchased a Leonotis leonurus and have grown it to a sufficient size to transplant into the garden. After reading information from books and the internet I decided to plant this particular plant out into the open so it would recieve the maximum amount of sunlight.

When I first transplanted the plant into the garden I covered it with a large pot during the hours of 11-2 just so it had time to adapt to the new environment. After I thought it was sufficiently adapted to its new environment I removed the pot. After the very first day of doing so I had noticed that the new leaves which were growing had started to shrivel up (leaves were still green however).

All the places in which I have gained information on suitable growing conditions for this plant suggested full sunlight, so why is the plant suffering? I continually airate the soil, I have added compost and before planting the soil was ammended with blood and bone and phosphate. I water it every afternoon aswell.

Will this plant ever be able to cope with full sunlight? I unfortunately don't have a larger pot to provide shade for it and I don't want it to die.

2. mama flora

mama flora Member

Hello s13paul !

As long as I know about leonotis, it likes neutral soil to slightly acidic, perhaps you've got a too much acidic soil.
    About watering, don't need too much. Just watering again when soil is dry.
    I hope your leonotis can soon prosper.

3. s13paul

s13paul Member

Yeah I thought that the soil had something to do with it, the soil is very poor probably due to living in an extremely windy and salty region (I live on a canal and the wind blows directly onto the garden). Anyway thanks for the post, I thought I was watering it too much also, cheers!