Hedges: Thuja Occ showing brown spots

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Domenic M, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Domenic M

Domenic M Member

How shade intolerant are the Thuja Occ? I just planted 20 or so plants as a hedge and they are doing well on one side where they receive a lot of sunlight and sickly and spotty on the other side where they receive very little directly sunlight. They are not necessarily in the shade, but they do not receive a lot of sunlight. Since I planted them between my home and my neighbor's driveway, there isn't much I can do to increase the amount of sunlight they receive..... My home blocks out the sun for much of the day except about an hour or 2 during high noon.... Any ideas, short of transplanting them to another area of my home and planting some other type of cedars...

Attached Files:

2. RonLiz

RonLiz Member

They look like some of the hundred we planted - we think we have an infestation of spider mite.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Queries about browning of rows of 'Smaragd' and other arborvitae are frequent, in addition to mites (specimens shown here do not look like that affliction is at work, however photo is taken from too far away to see much) there are pathogenic disease organisms that can attack. Entire plants may also go brown from being allowed to dry out or being stuck in soil that puddles, small bits of dead may also just be twigs that got crushed or broken in handling. Where there is much brown scattered through the planting try clipping samples and taking to local source of information, maybe trusted garden center or government agency (down here we have USDA Cooperative Extension network with Extension offices and Master Gardener clinics).