Hosta in container

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by terri g, Oct 14, 2007.

1. terri g

terri g Member

Hi,
    I have a hosta in a small half to 1 gallon plastic container on a north facing side but in the shade of a lilac tree. It did beautifully there over the summer, but now, the edges of the older leaves are turning yellow. The young leaves look green and healthy. The soil feels moist, ie. not dehydrated.

Is this normal or is the plant sick? If sick, what should I do?
    Thanks, and thanks to the folks who responded to an earlier thread.

Terri

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they die back for the winter. since you have it in a planter and not in the ground, once it's died back i would store the planter in a protected area - like a garage or unheated basement. better yet would be to bury the planter for the winter and then dig it up for next year (or you could plant it right in the ground).

3. terri g

terri g Member

Thanks, Joclyn, that is helpful. New gardener here. :)

An error: the hosta is actually on a SOUTH facing side of the house, not north. Sorry if that leads you astray.

You mentioned it should be placed in a garage or basement for protection. Will it need to be exposed to light and watered over the winter? I failed to do that with some annuals and they did not survive the winter.

thanks,
    Terri

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Actually here in Zone 8 Vancouver, you don't need to move your pot for winter protection. It will be fine exactly where it is. You shouldn't have to water the pot in the winter, we get more than enough rain.

Annuals only grow/flower once and then die.

5. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Even in PA, a hosta in a container should be okay outdoors over winter. It need only be moved close to the house foundation at most.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Most hostas (any that you buy at local garden centres) are so tough that you can freeze, drown, or dry them and they will still regrow the following year. Some of the rarer ones are finicky enough that you want to avoid those extremes. In Vancouver, the main thing to ensure for pots of hostas, and most hardy plants, in winter is that they drain well.

7. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

I believe i grow the bulletproof variety. I am in Philly it gets close to zero F. 3 plants in this whiskey barrel for 5 or 6 years. They are lush and handsome for 4-5 months straight and they produce attention getting flowers on long stems twice each summer. They respond to balanced, dilute fertilizer in a big way.

A little worn in the pic but it's nearly November.

The tree in the barrel is a Davidia. It's going to flower one day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  8. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

9. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Shameless hijack of thread here... since I think the question is answered! Thanks for those excellent Davidia links, Newt. I just bought one of those, even though I may not be able to grow it to full size but have to experience it for a while at least...

10. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Newt thanks for that info. I suspected it would not make a good container specimen. I'd seen the tree at Scott Arboretum and read the legends so i wanted it. Maybe in Spring i'll put it in the ground. The tree does seems quite happy in a pot so far.

11. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Terri, sorry for the hijacking!

Karin and Poetry, you are both very welcome! Keep in mind it can take 10 years before it blooms! A long wait but well worth it.

Glad you both found that helpful.
    Newt