Rhododendrons: Yellowing leaves on my Rhodo - Help!

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Robt, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Robt

Robt Member

Hello,

I have a well established Rhododendron in my back yard (partial shade) that has been very healthy and no problems the almost two years we have lived in this house. Starting about 2 weeks ago (late Sept early Oct) many of the leaves started turning totally yellow and falling off. I don't remember this happening lat fall. Is this a normal fall thing when the weather turns colder or a problem?

The only thing that has changed since last fall is that in the spring (April) we had pavers put down in the back yard replacing pea gravel that was there previously. The concrete pavers are within about 4 feet of the trunk (not too close) but certainly under the drip line. The pavers do not surround the plant (only on one side) - there is a fence behind it. I am thinking though, the pavers are set on sand and underneath, compressed gravel (could have lime in it?) Could that be a problem? As mentioned these changes were made 5 months ago with no problems yet...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

thanks in advance,
    Rob in Vancouver

2. Ian61

Ian61 Member

It isn't unusual for Rhodos to drop their old leaves. This occurs every second year on smaller leaf varieties.
    The larger leaf Rhodo types will shed their older leaves usually in the 3rd or 4th season.
    If it is the lower (older) leaves that are yellowing, I wouldn't panic.
    Continue to keep the soil acidic and well watered.

Ian

3. Robt

Robt Member

Thanks Ian,

Upon closer inspection it is in fact only the older (lower) leaves that are yellowing and dropping. The leaves around the flower buds are fine.

I appreciate your help on this.

best, Rob