Help! Gophers in the Greenhouse and Yard

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by flytrap, Oct 12, 2007.

1. flytrap

flytrap Active Member

I searched this pest management area for gopher / mole control... and found some dead links.

I've tried flooding, dog urine, kid urine, dog and cat hair ... but to no avail. I haven't tried the juicy fruit gum idea yet...

A search on the web calls up an ultra-sonic ground emitter. Have any of you tried this product?

The gopher holes seem to appear anywhere, and the buggers tunnel under concrete slabs - only to appear on the other side.

Short of dynamite and poison, any other ideas?

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

A terrier.. Would putting down wire mesh of the very strong variety be an idea???? Can't say we have this problem here. Our maurauders tend to come via the air or tree branches. Possums (marsupials) and parrots and cockatoos.
    Liz

3. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

This is going to sound...cruel but...
    Get your car and hook up the exhaust pipe to a hose and stick the hose in the gophers hole. Let the car run until smoke is coming out any other holes. This is what
    my brother did and it worked.

My mother-in-law used the juicy fruit gum still in the alluminum foil still on it and it worked on her voles.

Good luck.

4. flytrap

flytrap Active Member

This is a novel idea... yes, a bit nasty... but all sorts of pest control has some degree of cruelty.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years