Chlorophytum Amaniense - Fire Flash

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bluewing, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I just bought this plant yesterday, but I'm not sure what it likes as far as light and watering?Could also be Chlorophytum orchidantheroides, they both look similair....

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, the one at home isn't thriving, though we've kept it alive for over a year. Low-light seems to be okay, but I think it preferred a bit of filtered light to retain the colouration. We only keep it lightly watered.

Come to think of it, if anyone else has been successful with it, I'd be interested to learn as well.

3. Bluewing

Thanks Daniel,

Your probably right about it liking more light to keep it's orange stem color nice and bright. For now, mine is in a west window, but there are some trees out front shading a lot of light (slowly started to lose leaves for winter) so I might need to move it to higher light in the spring.
    You said you keep yours lightly watered, does that mean the soil is maybe more on the dry side? Semi moist?

Thanks!

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We let it dry out between waterings. That, though, may not be the best thing for it.

5. Bluewing

I'll guess I'll do a little tweeking here and there if no one chimes in on this and see how it goes from there.

Thanks!

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I took the time to google it! I actually have this plant in the back yard, half under Philodendron selloum and it hasn't been going too well, now that I think about. I'd actually half forgotten about it. I put mine down to needing more water and mine gets filtered light and a couple of hours of morning sun. Its not burnt, so I guess its more water...

Ed

7. seaecho

seaecho Member

Fire Flash actually likes a bit LESS light than the standard spider. It also likes to be kept moister. I've had mine for two years in a north window (in S. Calif, so that's a lot more light than some other north windows) and its doing great with daily misting, and not letting it dry out between waterings.

8. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Thanks seaecho, I'll give mine more water, now that I've remembered it :/

Ed

9. Bluewing

Thanks for added information!

The soil feels pretty moist right now (came that way) and it also came in a plastic pot, so I don't see it drying up anytime soon. I guess it will be ok in a west window for now. It can always be moved later on if need be.

10. seaecho

seaecho Member

Just make sure it doesn't get direct sunlight in that west window. That'll make it angry for sure, LOL!

11. Bluewing

Hate angry plants, lol. It will receive mainly bright indirect and dapple sun, so I think it will be ok for now. If the light at some point gets too direct, I can move it elsewhere...

Thanks!

12. deaans

deaans Member

I came across this forum while searching for identification and care instructions for my own Fireflash. A plant profile that I found recommended bright, indirect light from a south, east, or west window. It also recommended that the plant be kept evenly moist, neither drying out between waters or allowed to sit in water. Also a mild feeding twice a month. I haven't had mine long so I don't know if this works or not. Dea